Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Standard turn bet?

Foxwoods 10/20...Around 10 AM on a wednesday morning.

Hero is BB with the powerhouse 10,6offsuit. 5 people take the flop for the first time in an hour. Previously, the game had been very very tight and aggressive with few showdowns. Sexy.

Flop: 863 RAINBOW like it aint no thang.

Hero bets. Someone in EP raises, someone calls, the rest fold, I call.

Turn is a 2 completing the rainbow.

Hero bets...

Please discuss.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Standard turn bet?

My reasoning for firing on the turn is really fuzzy. Instinctively, this was the right thing to do in my mind. There was a 30-40% chance in my mind that my hand was good and no one had an 8. If someone had some thing like 98, my chances of being raised on the turn again were low. 45, or a set would let me know right now exactly where I stand if I bet again on the turn as well. This is a fold so fast it hurts on the turn if I am raised again.

Furthermore, I hate check folding after I lead the flop for some reason when the pot is decent sized. On the same note, I don't want to check/call either with middle pair crappy kicker.

The player who called two cold on the flop scared me. She was a smart player who had to have something decent. Not the type to call two cold with overs.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 AM

If the table is as tight as you explained, it sounds like you're beaten. But I still see your reason for betting the turn, I don't think I would have done the same thing. In fact, I would probably check fold the turn, figuring I made the right move on the flop, and that now I am done with the hand b/c I didn't pick up the pot on the flop, nor did I hit two pair on the turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The player who called two cold on the flop scared me. She was a smart player who had to have something decent. Not the type to call two cold with overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lacking a read, this player was enough to convince me that a cf on the turn is ok ui. With that read cf ui is even clearer.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:01 PM

Check/fold the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Previously, the game had been very very tight and aggressive with few showdowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though some of them may have loosened up a little bit PF on this hand - they're likely still going to play well after the flop. You've got middle pair/no kicker and one backdoor draw to the ass end. This hand cannot stand up to any real aggression and the pot is not big enough to make it worth fighting over.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Damn,

Thanks for the advice. You guys are correct in hindsight. Pretty loose and aggro of me to bet the turn into 2 players with mid pair no kicker.

River was an 8 and I bet again. I got called by one more player and my hand was good. I didn't get to see the other cards but I am guessing 55 or something for the guy who called me and 79suited for the OESD for the lady who called 2 cold on the flop. That was my best guess.

Again, I am not sure if I am being results oriented because I won the pot or if I am happy I did the correct thing given I knew what my oppenents cards where. Who knows.

I really need to play tighter on the flop and turn. I am pretty good preflop, maybe like 23ish VPIP, which is tight as hell for a B&M game and standard for a winning party 2/4 and higher player. But on the flop and turn my aggression factors are still damn high according to pokertracker. Maybe thats why I like 6 max mroe than full tables.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:37 AM

does anybody 3bet the flop or am i crazy?