Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 AM

Default HONEST CRITICS PLEASE READ!!

Looking to have an honest critical look at my play level.

I play $5-$10 SnG's and I finish in the money 70% of the time out of those I finish first place 30-40%.
I really like $10 short handed's late at night very easy!!

I suck at limit games can't stand playing low-limit games where I have AK and blatantly bet out that I have caught both to be called down with a pair of 5's.."cuz it was cheap" to catch a 5 on the river for trips. And I dont have the funds to play in the 2/4-3/6 games.

NL cash games are like the lottery for me in that when and if I do win its big. I could clearly use some patience in these and I push to often. It seems as if when ever i have 2 pair sumone has trips and if i have a str8-or-flush sumone caught a boat.

MTT this is where my post comes somewhat relevant here...I finish 80% of the time in the upper third to upper fifth of the entrants my best records are-

8th-2200ppl
5th-183ppl
36-2200ppl
99th-900ppl

and then the average is like 80th-150 outta 2000ppl.

In your minds where do I stand as a poker player?

I dont feel like a beginner, maybe intermediate I have read the books all the "famous" ones, I dont feel advanced for I dont have much of a bankroll and it takes big swings. So please holler back let me know what to do to fix my game to another higher echelon!!! thanx much

PQQT-pokerroom.com
pokerpoot-ftp
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: HONEST CRITICS PLEASE READ!!

I think youre a poker beginner. For sooooo many reasons. Mostly, there's a ton of basic concepts you don't understand.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:35 AM

You should max out your credit card to get the bankroll to play higher stakes. Throwing away your skills at low limit games is a waste of your time. You need to get in the game as soon as possible so you can quit your job and go pro.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should max out your credit card to get the bankroll to play higher stakes. Throwing away your skills at low limit games is a waste of your time. You need to get in the game as soon as possible so you can quit your job and go pro.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

He is absolutely right. If you are finishing i the money THAT often, and placing THAT high in THAT many MTT's THAT consistently, than you are definately in the wrong limits. You understand the concept of having the best hand, why do you think it is so frustrating for you seeing people draw out on your pair of kings in a 4 way pot? BECAUSE YOU ARE AT LIMITS THAT DO NOT PHASE THEM. I was in the same boat for years before the forum helped me wise up. You see, IF YOU COLLECT ALL THE MONEY YOU HAVE, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR/ YOUR MOTHERS/ GRANDPARENTS, ETC. CREDIT CARDS' TO GATHER AROUND 3000, YOU CAN PLAY AT LIMITS WHERE NO-ONE EVER DRAWS OUT BECAUSE EVERYONE ALWAYS KNOWS WHEN THEY ARE BEAT AND FOLDS ACCORDINGLY. After I did this, my winrate skyrocketed. Suddenly my hands held up beacuse I was playing against people who, like me, recognized when they were beaten. The rivers are paved with gold man, PM me when you get it together and we'll go play some 15/30. Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:03 AM

And wouldn't you say poker is about 50% less rigged at 15/30 than it is at micro limits? Clearly the poker sites need to generate more action at these pitiful limits so they will get rake money, but at 15/30 they don't need to rig it as much because it is being played with real money.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I play $5-$10 SnG's and I finish in the money 70% of the time out of those I finish first place 30-40%.

I suck at limit games can't stand playing low-limit games where I have AK and blatantly bet out that I have caught both to be called down with a pair of 5's.."cuz it was cheap" to catch a 5 on the river for trips. And I dont have the funds to play in the 2/4-3/6 games.

NL cash games are like the lottery for me in that when and if I do win its big. I could clearly use some patience in these and I push to often. It seems as if when ever i have 2 pair sumone has trips and if i have a str8-or-flush sumone caught a boat.

MTT this is where my post comes somewhat relevant here...I finish 80% of the time in the upper third to upper fifth of the entrants my best records are-

8th-2200ppl
5th-183ppl
36-2200ppl
99th-900ppl

I dont feel like a beginner, maybe intermediate I have read the books all the "famous" ones, I dont feel advanced for I dont have much of a bankroll and it takes big swings. So please holler back let me know what to do to fix my game to another higher echelon!!! thanx much

PQQT-pokerroom.com
pokerpoot-ftp

[/ QUOTE ]

sell your kids/famliy/girlfriend for bankroll

i thankyou
Old 04-01-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HONEST CRITICS PLEASE READ!!

[/ QUOTE ]
you came to the wrong place [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 05:35 AM

HTH
Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 AM

Default an honest answer

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After this post, good luck...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't. I'm serious. If you're posting this after playing 10 tourneys, I'm going to slap you. But honestly, the best player in the world couldn't accomplish that. So stop lying to us.

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at limit games

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a strong chance of this.

[ QUOTE ]
where I have AK and blatantly bet out that I have caught both to be called down with a pair of 5's.."cuz it was cheap" to catch a 5 on the river for trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this isn't the reason why.

[ QUOTE ]

And I dont have the funds to play in the 2/4-3/6 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be thankful. You'd get crushed.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that only happened in limit?

[ QUOTE ]

8th-2200ppl
5th-183ppl
36-2200ppl
99th-900ppl

[/ QUOTE ]

google "running well." read up on it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly? I don't know. Haven't seen you play. Haven't seen any hands posted. I do know that you're not as good as you think you are. And to be honest, I haven't got a clue what your true results are in SNGs. I will tell you that 70% is unsustainable. You may want to check to make sure you're not playing play money by mistake. I've done that before. I'm not kidding, search for my 3rd post ever. It's doable.

[ QUOTE ]

I dont feel like a beginner,

[/ QUOTE ]

You are. Stop kidding yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
I have read the books all the "famous" ones,

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

[ QUOTE ]
So please holler back let me know what to do to fix my game to another higher echelon!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Play low-limits. Either NL or limit, whichever you prefer. If you have a decent BR, say $200 or so, you can even play the SNGs on Party. And then post lots of hands. Well, I say lots but I really mean post meaningful hands that you have questions on. Read the other posts. You'd be amazed how friggin good the people on here are at poker. They're better than you think you are.

[ QUOTE ]
thanx much

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. Ignore all the other answers. They enjoy their flaming a bit too much. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: an honest answer

thx to all that replied 2 people say i'm a beginner 6 tell me to sell everything and play higher limits like i was thinking. as for wether or not my SnG record is really like that IT IS not at first i used to lose alot but after a hundred or so I started catching the formula to beating them. Hopefully i'll get more post that I can believe in to know what I should really do!!!