Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Preflop Raising Question

Heres a basic question, but i think it may be a hole in my game. Whenever i raise flop with AK, AQ in late position and have the caller check it to me. i almost allways raise it up. i guess it never happened to me much before, but it seems that lately, ive been getting re-raised a whole lot in this situation. I was wondering if other players raise in this situation a majority of the time?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Preflop Raising Question

clarify question please
Old 04-01-2005, 01:12 AM

A few mispellings and grammatical errors make this post a little hard to read. Is this an accurate representation of your post?

Whenever I raise preflop, then miss the flop (I don't pair up) and I bet when it's checked to me I check raise.

Is this accurate?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:13 AM

I raise. i miss the flop. caller checks it to me, i raise, i get re-raised. i fold. repeate several times
Old 04-01-2005, 01:15 AM

If I raise preflop with AK, or AQ, I will always bet the pot on the flop if it is heads up or three handed. Do not bet if you whiff and 3 or more people call.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 AM

well often it's easy to fold to the check-raise. but if you find your self getting check raised too often or losing too much money with missed AK/AQ, consider things like texture of flop (draw heavy/ raggy) # of players in the pot, size of the pot.

I will often bet out if flop is paired or raggy, or rag,rag,Facecard but almost never on boards like 689 (2 tone) because they will often call you down with those draws and betting on flop makes the pot too big to try for a steal on turn.

also, try not to bet into more than 2 players.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:22 AM

yeah, its almost allways in heads up situations. im not sure if i have allways done this, but just lately, people have been re-raising me left and right. and its been killin my stack
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 AM

probably short-term run into people with real hands. headsup, flop misses opponents too damn much to give up continuation bet with AK when checked to.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:45 AM

Look for leaks elsewhere, this is not one of them. Except for getting into sticky situations on later streets, it is my opinion that overcalling preflop and overbetting flops is not a major leak in most people's games (especially here).
Old 04-01-2005, 03:00 AM

When this happens to me, that is when I have no steal succes at all for a while, then I tighten up. I see fewer flops so that I see fewer of these situations. This is mostly psycological in my case. I don't want to get to the point where I'm afraid of betting the flop after a pf raise.