Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 AM

Default 1st hand of $150 MTT

I observed this first hand at my table of the $150 Pearl tournament on Paradise. Stacks 1500, blinds 10/20. Two limpers. CO raises to 80. BB reraises to 200. CO calls. Flop is J97 rainbow. BB checks, CO bets 200, BB raises to 500, CO pushes, BB calls. BB has KK, CO has AJo.

How did CO play this hand? Once he called the raise and the pot was relatively big, it seems hard to get away from TPTK.

BB's check on the flop seemed a little strange since he had reraised preflop.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: 1st hand of $150 MTT

I think that the BB laid a great trap. CO figures he either was trying to steal the pot with big reraise PF, and then he checks like maybe he has nothing, or maybe a couple overcards AK, AQ that the flop obviously missed. I think the preflop initial raiser might make a stab at the pot in this situation the majority of the time thinking BB is weak. And then BB can check raise. BB played this very well IMHO.

I think CO's play is pretty bad here. He bet and was reraised, and then he is checked raise on the flop. I think CO clearly should have folded his hand at that point. Pushing all in was a very poor play given how this hand played and given the fact it is early in the tourney.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: 1st hand of $150 MTT

CO played this horribly. I won't argue with the 80 chip raise(even though i dont really like it), but after the reraise he should be out. I guess a case could be made that this could be a complete maniac since its the first hand, but barring a read he has to fold to this raise. But, on to the flop. I would have played this the same way, up until I got check raised. Then I fold with 1100 still in my stack. I think it is relatively easy to get away with TPTK on this just because of the raise out of position preflop from the BB, and then a check raise on flop. Also that is a prime flop for hitting a set even if CO did put BB on a mid pocket pair. Oh well, I'm probably way off, but just my 3 dollars and 54 cents.