Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 PM

Default nines unimproved against aggression on a paired board

I'm still relatively new to poker and very new to 2/4, so be gentle. What should I have done in this hand? Raised the turn and folded to a reraise? Was calling down ok or should I have taken another shot, or folded??

opponents seem typical of absolute 2/4 - they play a lot of hands they shouldn't, but are relatively tight against aggression postflop - villain has not been very aggressive in previous hands.

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: nines unimproved against aggression on a paired board

I'd probably play it the same way. Your preflop raise and flop raise pretty much say you have a big (higher than the flop) pair. I would expect to get check/raised on the turn if he has a 6. Since he's betting into you on the turn he might only have a 7 but maybe the 6. Since it could be either way I'd do the same and call him down.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:28 PM

I think you played it perfectly. He most certainly has clubs or a weak 7.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 AM

Absent of some good stats on the SB, I play this the same way. No way you can fold this, but I'm not sure I'd raise the turn or river either. Seems much more likely that he has a 7 than an A, so your hand is probably good. Not sure I'd be confident enough to raise that river.. I think you played it just fine.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:08 AM

Raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet. On the river I would bet even after the ad pops when he checks to me. Left some on the felt this time I think.