Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Please Help Me Get A New Computer: A Few Questions

[ QUOTE ]
And, finally, does anyone have any input on the Digital Tigers Command Center? I'm unclear about whether or not I need a seperate video card for each monitor, or what, and whether or not the Aurora/Area51/Dell Dimension/etc. would be able to run it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each screen has DVI inputs, so you will probably want to get one dual-head card for each pair.

Alienware is probably the only place on your list that would custom build a 3 video card system.

Maybe going with a Digital Tigers workstation would be a good idea, they have some real sexy high end systems and of course they know what their doing when it comes to multi-multi-display systems.

For the problem with your current setup, if you want to get it running immediately, mc1 probably is right about power, try taking out your secondary video card (as a test and temporary fix).

Edit: With the crazy amount of multitasking you do, I'd recommend dual hard drives (raid 0), 2 GB RAM and dual processors in that order, but a new system in your price range would run fine without any of that.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:42 PM

Well if you want a really high end computer there is VoodooPC. GREAT reviews at Resellerratings.com. Real expensive though. Dell XPS is also an option.

Also, stick with a minimum of 1GB RAM. It is pretty much needed for World of Warcraft and Doom3. The difference between 1GB and 2GB+ is fairly minimal right now but who knows with upcoming games.

Any video card you get on these high end machines with have two video outputs so you only need 1 video card for two monitors. Also, the AMD Athlon 64 CPUs blow the Intel's out of the water when in comes to gaming, although Intel are better for multi-tasking I believe so they might be better for multi-tabling.

For a high end video card get an ATI X800 or X850 (XL or XT) or a NVIDIA 6800 (GT or Ultra).
Old 03-31-2005, 01:59 PM

I hope you are wealthy because buying an alienware is pretty much the same as lighting $1000 on fire. Turn around time if you have to send it to them is about a month, and don't even try working on it yourself unless you wanna void your warranty. These computers BLOW, and I hate them with a passion. Here's one thing you probably already know about technology, but I want to review: when you get to the upper levels of performance, the price is exponentially higher for minimal benefit.

In short, build your own. Anyone who buys a pre-built gaming PC gets what they deserve. I wouldn't count on any of the big companies for tech support anymore, so don't let that sway your decision. Find a friend who knows this stuff, take a trip to fry's (or wherever), and piece together exactly what you need. You'll save lots of money and you might learn something too!

edit: just reread your post, Alienware will not send you parts. You will need to ship it to them.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:19 PM

My thought on the whole situation is...

If you're willing to drop 3-4 grand on an alienware computer, which are designed for games but not for multiple monitors, it would be worth it to save up a while longer and get a digital tigers system. One of them would probably run you 4k, but they are tricked out to the max. Plus they made their own multi-monitor management software to work specifically with their systems. My 3 monitor system is always a huge bitch. I cant upgrade my video cards without somehow screwing up at least 1 monitor and having to system restore.

But yeah, if i were in your situation, my money would go to digital tigers.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:24 PM

I think the whole point here was Brian did not want to build his own computer.

If you really want to go with it now, get 2GB of memory. But memory prices are dropping all the time and if you can get a friend to put it in for you all you have to do is open the case and stick the new memory in the slot.

As a previous poster said, there won't be much where you see a benefit between 1G and 2G of memory. Maybe pokertracker since the files can get so huge.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I'm trying to say is, is the AlienWare Area 51 that much of an upgrade to my computer? Or even the AlienWare Aurora for that matter? I ran the "PC Test" on AlienWare's site, and they said that the Aurora ran 4x faster than my current computer, but that "tests may be inaccurate".

Also, do you have any personal experience with AlienWare, Newegg, or others?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a hard question because everyone has a different perception of "fast". It also depends a whole lot on software. If you have a ton of crap running in your system try or a lot of services running in the backgroud--even a brand new system can be sluggish.

I do not own a Alienware system, but I have purchased many things from newegg with success. I can recommend that you use AMD. I have had no problems with their processors for the last 5 years (I've used about 7 at home, countelss numbers at work). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 02:41 PM

Brian,

I haven't read any other replies, nor am I really a tech guy at all, but with the amount of multi-tabling that you do, you should consider buying a computer built for multi-monitor systems.

The third one down looks about right.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:58 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the thing that separates a computer from a "multi-monitor" computer is a video card and multiple monitors
Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 PM

I agree that AlienWare is overpriced.

The Dell you linked to is nowhere near the other systems – not even in the same category.

If I were building a system today, it would look very much like the one from NewEgg. I’ve never bought from them, but I know a lot of people who are very happy with them.

That NewEgg system looks pretty much exactly like what you need, and the price is great. It would be tough to build it yourself for that price.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:43 PM

I would recommend against an Alienware - I've had one and I didn't like the customer service. When you send them a machine for technical support, their standard practice is to wipe the hard drives regardless of what the issue was on your machine.

If you want to pay a premium for a top of the line computer, I echo the people that suggest Falcon-NW. I had a friend buy a computer from them. He wanted to save a couple pieces from his old computer to use in the new build - Falcon NW paid for them to be shipped to them and they used them in the new build.

Building your own computer is great if you're comfortable with it, but sometimes (especially if you're not terribly familiar with the process) the premium is worth the time you save and gives you piece of mind that you didn't screw something up.