Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Limit player tries out NL (AKo in the SB-lots of limpers)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is a very good idea for someone who is new to NL to buy in short. It will greatly cut down on the cost of calling bets or raises on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Playing the short-stack does cut down on your opponents skill advantage over you; but how do you learn how to play 100xbb+ stacks without doing it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I recommend learning to swim in a pool or lake rather than learning to swim in a river or ocean. Once you know how to swim with no current or waves, it is easier to adapt to more challenging environments.

I think it is common for limit players to find they win small pots and lose big pots, in part because they call too much with mediocre hands while their opponent is screaming strength. Buying in for 30 BB will prevent a new player from getting crushed by these infrequent but catastrophic mistakes.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is a very good idea for someone who is new to NL to buy in short. It will greatly cut down on the cost of calling bets or raises on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Playing the short-stack does cut down on your opponents skill advantage over you; but how do you learn how to play 100xbb+ stacks without doing it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I recommend learning to swim in a pool or lake rather than learning to swim in a river or ocean. Once you know how to swim with no current or waves, it is easier to adapt to more challenging environments.

I think it is common for limit players to find they win small pots and lose big pots, in part because they call too much with mediocre hands while their opponent is screaming strength. Buying in for 30 BB will prevent a new player from getting crushed by these infrequent but catastrophic mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this. I'm trying not to, but it's sooo hard. I've got to see it! <*(((><|
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 PM

"I think it is common for limit players to find they win small pots and lose big pots, in part because they call too much with mediocre hands while their opponent is screaming strength." True.. because in limit, you only have to call another bet. But I might still argue, the first they need to do is... stop doing that. They shouldn't be going to showdown as much.

I have no problem with learning to play a short stack. But then they need to learn they have to tighten up even more... which, I suspect, is a harder lesson to learn if you come from limit.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:57 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
Look standard to me. Was there a specific part of the hand that troubled you? you raised roughly 3xBB + 1xBB for each limper. You led out on the flop and then pushed. Looks good.

Oh and you already know this but there is no reason to be short-stacked here. It ain't a tournament [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] just rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Should I be betting more on the flop?

Or slightly less on the flop waiting for a non-club turn to make a pot size bet? Or was the flop bet fine, and a big turn bet goodererer?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 PM

I'm going to suggest a possible alternative play. The way you did it is ok, although I would bet the flop for the full pot.

What I would do here is try to trap. Both of these guys are loose preflop, and MP3 is basically a douchebag. This sounds like a perfect time to try to let MP2 buy the pot with his KQ/KJ (or just random crap) sensing weakness when you check to him. Then let MP3 call with middle pair (becuase he's a douche), then raise all in.

If it gets checked through and the turn is a brick, bet. If the turn is another club, bet, but fold to a re-raise all in. If the turn pairs the board (but not the K), bet and fold to a re-raise all in.

This play only works if you are pretty sure that MP2 is going to bet out though, so barring that sort of read I would just raise the flop more.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Results

Villain calls my all in with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and fails to catch his flush draw on the river. I win a big pot which would have been bigger if I had bought in for the full amount. I learned my lesson.