Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Why Can\'t I Beat 2/5 Live? A New Players Log.

[ QUOTE ]
My VP$IP is 18%. My Preflop Raise is 9%. My aggression factor is 3.4 postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thought I'd respond to this... seems like your agression might be a little high. Are you taking a free card when you need one? Checking the river when you'll only be called by hands that beat yours? Just calling w/ drawing hands when it's the proper situation to do so?

I'm curious if other folks think an AF over 3 is simply too much?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My VP$IP is 18%. My Preflop Raise is 9%. My aggression factor is 3.4 postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thought I'd respond to this... seems like your agression might be a little high. Are you taking a free card when you need one? Checking the river when you'll only be called by hands that beat yours? Just calling w/ drawing hands when it's the proper situation to do so?

I'm curious if other folks think an AF over 3 is simply too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'm still learning about what level of aggression is best. The stats are for Party 0.50/1.00

I went from having a very low post flop aggression to a very high aggression. Since I've become more aggessive I've been winning but I fear I may have been too aggressive.

Yes the 3.4 aggression does get me in trouble. I find I sometimes raise to isolate in big pots with second best hand and it turns out I have the worst hand. I bet my flush draws. I bet my straight draws. I value bet when I think I have the best hand.

You're right, sometimes I realize I should have taken a free card, or gone for overcalls or just check the river with a hand that will only be called by a hand that beats mine.

When should I just call with my straight or flush draws. I always seem to be raising them. The other thing I have to start doing more is check raising.

But....

Overall going from a passive player post flop to a very aggressive player has turned me from loseing 1bb/100 online to wining 2bb/100.

So now I'm reworking my game this month. I plan to take a month off of playing and spend the time I would normally play to read SSH and rework my game. I still don't get SSH after 7 reads and 7 months.

Derick

PS What post flop aggression numbers do you guys have? (please also state your sample sizes mine is 3.4 in 15,000 hands).

What is considered a "Good" number? I'm guessing above 2.5 is good, below 1.5 is terrible.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:46 PM

I not familar with the 2/5 game. Is it a $2 bet preflop and on the flop and then a $5 bet on the turn and river?

If so, do not underestimate the effect of the change in structure compared to the standard 2:1 Big Bet:Small Bet structure. In the 2/5 structure you would generally play a little looser during the first two rounds because of the possibility of collecting larger than normal bets on the later rounds. Because most players in general play too loose, this structure has the effect of making the play of these players less of a mistake. Many new "serious players" play too tight which can be a mistake in this structure.

If you do make it to the turn, generally be more inclined to fold with a weak hand (because of the worse pot odds) and bet aggressively with a strong hand. In this structure playing properly on the turn and river is much more important because of the relatively larger bet sizes.

You might want to post in the general texas hold'em forum or the poker theory forum for more discussion.

Paul
Old 03-30-2005, 11:18 AM

I believe they are referring to NL with a $2 SB and a $5 BB.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I not familar with the 2/5 game. Is it a $2 bet preflop and on the flop and then a $5 bet on the turn and river?

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the blinds are $1 and $2, the preflop and flop bets are $2 max 3 raises. The river and turn are $5 maximum 3 raises unless it is heads up in which case it is an unlimited number of $5 raises.

Derick
Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe they are referring to NL with a $2 SB and a $5 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's limit as described in my post above this one.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the blinds are $1 and $2, the preflop and flop bets are $2 max 3 raises. The river and turn are $5 maximum 3 raises unless it is heads up in which case it is an unlimited number of $5 raises.

Derick

[/ QUOTE ]

So its spread limit? When you say "$5 maximum" do you mean bets of $1-5 are legal bets? Or is the bet $5 and nothing else.

If the game is spread limit, you need to make some additional adjustments from the standard limit hold'em advice you have read in the books.

Paul
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Derick

[/ QUOTE ]

So its spread limit? When you say "$5 maximum" do you mean bets of $1-5 are legal bets? Or is the bet $5 and nothing else.

If the game is spread limit, you need to make some additional adjustments from the standard limit hold'em advice you have read in the books.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not spread limit.

The blinds are $1 and $2, the preflop and flop bets are $2, there are a maximum of 3 raises of $2. The river and turn bets are $5, there are a maximum of 3 raises of $5, unless it is heads up in which case it is an unlimited number of $5 raises.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Just think of it as a straight up 2/4 limit game. Except replace the 4 with a 5.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just think of it as a straight up 2/4 limit game. Except replace the 4 with a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. See my first post in this thread then on adjusting to the larger big bet.

Paul