Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: I raised for a free card and turned MPBK

I don't like the flop raise unless you're certain you're getting coldcalls behind you. You don't need a free card in this large field more than you need people around to pay you off when you hit.

The turn bet is a decent disguise of your hand, but i'd still rather check and call here with a ton of outs.

Like I said in my other reply, I think the river is a clear raise -- you've been representing a K the whole way, UTG+2 wakes up and tells you he can beat a K. I think you're ahead of JJ (depending how passive he was), KJ, QT, J9, or possibly 55 or 99 (not likely unless he was super passive) more than you're up against a better flush. So, I raise and call a 3-bet. (Of all the possibilities, KJ does seem the most likely non-flush, and UTG+2 did play this like a draw... hrm... I'm still sticking with 'fear not the flush over flush' and popping it up here.)

-d
Old 03-30-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn bet is a decent disguise of your hand, but i'd still rather check and call here with a ton of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my vote, especially if I think he'll raise.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 PM

on the river, you hit your card, raise it up.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't understand your comment "I’m pretty confident the UTG2 will come alive and reraise if he has TPGK." You can't fold your hand, so you don't want him making you pay 2 bets on a draw if you can help it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should not have limited my read on his hand to TPGK but that was the read. If he had a set I felt like he would have reraised my flop bet.

UTG2 is a stronger player than the two behind me. I'm not folding here but if I check he puts me on a draw and raises the weaker player in the CO or on the button if they bet out. My thinking was I picked up some outs and if I check it may cost me 2 bets to see the river. I also have a slim chance to push out the CO and button for one bet and get a free showdown if I don't improve.

Is there any logic to my thinking here?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG2 is a stronger player than the two behind me. I'm not folding here but if I check he puts me on a draw and raises the weaker player in the CO or on the button if they bet out. My thinking was I picked up some outs and if I check it may cost me 2 bets to see the river. I also have a slim chance to push out the CO and button for one bet and get a free showdown if I don't improve.

Is there any logic to my thinking here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about the players you are up against and chances of that happening. In a loose-passive game, the chances are slim.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Default result

I freeze up and figured him for a better flush and hoped for the over call which I did NOT get. UTG2 shows top 2.
I won but I lost by giving him credit for a bigger flush. I think he plays Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] QJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in pretty much the same way he did this hand but I got spanked and should have raised and called if he 3 bet.

I think by playing the turn the way I did I've got to autoraise this guy on the river. Weak Tight is a bad bad way to play in this spot.

Thanks to all

Best of Luck

Gordon Scott