Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Default HEY GUYS

HEY GUYS LETS RIDE SKLANSKYS DICK A LITTLE HARDER1111111!!!!! HE IS TEH POKAHNUTZZZ!!%%%
Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Is Sklansky A Natural Poker Genius? A Learned Poker Genius? Or Bot

I agree that "real" math is definitely harder then the math used in texas hold'em. In fact, even if I stopped taking math back in 8th grade I probably still could understand all the math used in hold'em (except combonations, but these are NOT really even that necessary). Also, I am NOT claiming that Sklansky is a "mathematical" genius, because I have NO information of his contributions to the field, GPA in math classes, etc... Yet, I am saying that I think he is probably a great poker player. And I am just curious how he got that way?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 AM

Sklansky is a mathematical genius. This is obvious when you read any of his books or posts. He revolutionized the entire mathematical/statistical way of playing poker.

Sklansky went to the UPENN Wharton School and taught statistics classes there. Just consider yourselves lucky that he did so much for poker because without Sklansky you or I wouldnt be here right now discussing poker.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 PM

Sklansky is an excellent poker player and an even better poker writer.

But the term "mathematical genius" should be used carefully. I do not know whether he is one, but if he was, I would probably have heard of him before I got serious about poker. To me, a mathematical genius is someone like Euclide, Gauss, Frege or Pascal, someone who really achieved something big in the field of mathematics.

Is Sklansky a "poker genius"? Probably, since he is the most respectet poker author of all time and an excellent allround poker player. Mathematic genius? Probably not.

I don't know if he is a natural born poker genius such as Stu Ungar or just a very talented person who has worked hard to reach the top. It would be interesting to know.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: HEY GUYS

Well thats a little over the top, but if you had said it more politely, I would agree. Sklansky has not revolutionized the game using statistical methods. He makes a bunch of broad generalisations with no mathematical backup. Where is the math/stats behind his grouping of hands?? Where is there ANY math in his poker books, besides a few simple things like pot odds? All of his writing is backed up by NOTHING. A lot of it is good, Ill agree, but if you want to be technically correct, math is required. And as for going to UPENN, its a second rate school for undergrads. The MBA program is widely regarded as one of the best in the world and most competitive to get into, but as for undergrads (which Sklansky was when he went) , its a second tier school for second tier students.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: HEY GUYS

[ QUOTE ]
And as for going to UPENN, its a second rate school for undergrads. The MBA program is widely regarded as one of the best in the world and most competitive to get into, but as for undergrads (which Sklansky was when he went) , its a second tier school for second tier students.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right, Penn's only in that thingamajiggie, what you call it, Ivy League.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Is Sklansky A Natural Poker Genius? A Learned Poker Genius? Or Both?)

Technically... genius is 130 IQ... which is 1.3 times higher intelligence than normal...

been to partypoker lately?? what do you consider normal??? from what I have seen from people... Sklansky definitely has the 1.3 times advantage. Heck I do...

So poker genius. Sure! Every professional poker player is compared to the normal.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 PM

I won't comment about poker but Sklansky is unequivocably not a math genius. I believe his math competency is somewhere around master's degree level. That is far from being a genius.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:02 AM

95% have an IQ under 130. 99% or so have an IQ under 150. An IQ of 130 or more is as rare as an IQ of 70 or less.

Not all math geniuses enter the academic field of mathematics.

Sklansky does not have to reveal all the math behind why he does what he does. Keeping that secret may help provide the edge he has over people who have read his books.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Response

People have "natural" talents that can develop into expertise in different endeavors. You have a certain person, that through the make of his genes and/or the environment in which he grew, has a "natural" talent for understanding and performing complicated calculations, identifying patterns, combining seemingly disparate things, etc. That person can stumble onto the cloth weaving business and become a first-rate manufacturer of clothing patterns. Or, under different circumstances, a math teacher at a lowly school (a love story -- don't ask).

The background of Mason Malmuth and how he came to get involved with poker is quite illuminating, on this issue.

The current explosion of poker's popularity may (eg critical mass) or may not (eg end of Cold War and recreaton biz boom) have something to do with the M&S input of all these years. Either way, you start off with what cards you are dealt with and then try to do what your intelligence guides you to do in the table you've been assigned in. And the dealer deals the river.