Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: flopped the straght - When do i raise?

You should just lead this flop. I don't like your flop checkraise because it is dependent on a bet coming from your left and with the preflop action this isn't very likely. That said, if you are going to try and checkraise the field and the bet does come from your left, I might just call and try that checkraise on the turn.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 AM

Sorry Grunch I disagree. If we all want to stagnate reinforcing lessons for newbies fine, lets make this a beginners forum instead. Then we can start a forum for people who are trying to advance their abilites playing micros. If you have a question about c/r then search the freaking archives!

Please know this is not directed at you Grunch, just a general lament at where the board is going. Maybe I need to move up to the SS forum even though I am playing micros.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Grunch I disagree. If we all want to stagnate reinforcing lessons for newbies fine, lets make this a beginners forum instead. Then we can start a forum for people who are trying to advance their abilites playing micros. If you have a question about c/r then search the freaking archives!

Please know this is not directed at you Grunch, just a general lament at where the board is going. Maybe I need to move up to the SS forum even though I am playing micros.

[/ QUOTE ]

The micros forum is the de facto starting point for new LHE students. Its not a beginners forum, in that its not the place to post questions like "does a straight beat a flush?" But it is like freshmen & sophomore level college courses, where people learn things like the difference and use of pot odds & pot equity, reading the board and checkraising for value or protection.

The typical arc is for new students to start thier education in micros, then move on to SS where issues are less fundamental, and rely on basic knowledge. I do most of my reading in SS & mid-high now, and most of my writing in micros.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 AM

Thanks Grunch. Sounds like a good plan.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no one is going to learn anything from this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. This hand illustrates the misuse of a value CR, and is therefore valuble for illustrative purposes. CRs are done wrong very often. IMO, they are one of the most-misused moves in the micros forum. This is a lesson that needs to be taught over and over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. The play on this flop is not a close decision or a matter of style. Checking is wrong, and people need to learn why.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, no offense but no one is going to learn anything from this hand. The difference between being a losing player and a winning player is not going to be found here. It lies in how you play the marginal hands! Sorry had to vent a little!

[/ QUOTE ]

I counted three people who had something they needed to learn about this hand.