Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Bankroll build plan

Hi everyone,

After three years of winning play I find myself in the same situation as a lot of other players. I dont get the full rewards from my play / study of the game due to bad bankroll management.

I have played mostly online (UB, sometimes Ladbrokes) and have found myself moving up in levels too fast. Except for a period of 4 months when I supported myself from poker, I dont rely on the money, but I do enjoy spending poker winnings. I played NLHE, and sometimes PLO at all levels from $1-$2 to $10-$25 blinds. I much prefer short-handed games, and I only ever play one table at a time.

Here is my bankroll build plan, to be played on Ladbrokes:
1. Initial deposit $200
2. Play 6-handed (or less) NLHE with full buy in for table
3. Start at 25c-50c blinds ie. $50 max
4. Cash out 50% of weekly profits, zero if loss
5. Only move up in level when BR is 10 times the max buy-in of next level
6. Move down in level if BR drops below 8 buy-ins for current level.

I am confident that I have a good enough game to win at the $5-$10 level, so when I get to $20000 I will be sure that my plan was a good one. Until, then maybe some of you guys could share your experiences.

I realise that the biggest risk of going broke here is in the initial period, whilst playing with only 4 buy-ins as a bankroll. If that happens I will start again with another $200 until I am past the 8 buy-in level, when the plan can commence in full.

Discipline has been a problem in the past, but I think that the goals- and rules-setting process could help with this.

Any commments would be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Bankroll build plan

Do what I did and clear some bonuses. My bankroll is around $2,500 and rapidly growing thanks to the vast number of favourable sign up and deposit offers from many poker rooms.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 AM

Bonus whoring is good, economy wise, but pretty frustrating and lots of extra work to open accounts here and there imo.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bonus whoring is good, economy wise, but pretty frustrating and lots of extra work to open accounts here and there imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it really doesn't take a lot of work to set up the accounts. Once you have your Neteller account set up and some money to move around it's almost effortless. You must be willing to put in a lot of hours and multitabling though. You won't be able to really fine tune your game so to speak. Just hammer away...

Tonight I expect to clear at least two $80 bonuses as well as some winning. Somewhere between $150-$200 for the night. I do this with very little risk. Even if I hit a downswing I will still be making money. Sure, my upside is limited but it's still good money.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Is cashing out 50% of weekly profits necessary? You're just making it much harder to reach your 20k goal this way.

Get rakeback and bonus whore as well. I'm not sure what the best bonuses are on a $200 deposit. Once you get to $500, clear all the Party skin bonuses, though. You can clear all 6 of these in 2-3 days depending on how many tables you play.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM

If you are willing to deposit 200 then another 200 if you bust why not just deposit 400 and start with your 8 buyin minimum?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:46 PM

I found a good bonus for paradise poker in the classifieds $200 deposit gave $100 in bonus money. Took quite a few hands to work it off but it ended up ahead by quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:13 AM

Default To All Who Responded

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Bonus whoring
-------------
I am not in a position to go bonus whoring because my choice of site ie. Ladbrokes (UK-run).

The reasons for choosing this site include:

1. Instant cash-outs to my bank account. US-run sites cashout to the UK only by USD, so I must wait approaching 6 weeks for my bank to credit my account.
2. Good action at the right time of the day.

Cashing out 50% of weekly winnings
----------------------------------
While this may seem excessive, I believe it will make me work harder at each level of game to achieve the bankroll to play the next level. Also, I will get to enjoy a higher %age of my winnings than I have in the past, as I have previously always moved up too fast.

Initial deposit
--------------
I initially deposited only $200, intending to deposit another $200 if required, because I am confident that $200 will be enough to get me started. If I am wrong, the $200 is better served in my bank account than deposited in my poker a/c.

Over-all target
---------------
I dont have a specific goal in mind, just that I would like to enjoy a trickle of extra income, whilst building a bankroll with a view to increasing the income in a sustainable manner.

Once again, thanks to those who responded.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:30 PM

10 buy ins is not a sufficient bankroll, you can lose half that in a night.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Initial deposit $200
3. Start at 25c-50c blinds ie. $50 max
6. Move down in level if BR drops below 8 buy-ins for current level.

[/ QUOTE ]

The math here doesn't make sense right from the start. Do you see why?