Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Default I dropped a limit and it sucked... How do you do it?

After a number of solid sessions and feeling as if my game was back on track with the bankroll getting back to even, I went on another s-l-o-w downward spiral over the past two weeks - and am back to being down 200BB's overall.

In reviewing PT, and having someone else look over a few sessions we determined I did make some overcalls which were questionable and might have been a bit aggressive on some nut flush draws which missed. But overall, my play was decent and the inevitable 2-outers killed me on a small number of large multi-way pots. I'm also attempting to play a few more hands out of the blinds and getting HU isn't the best part of my game! So that cost me quite a few BB's too. (Not beeyatching about the downswing either, I can handle that and know about variance and playing st00pid at times!)

So I decided to move from 1/2 to .50/1 and retool my game while clearing the latest PP bonus. GAWD was I bored plus I got 86o'ed to death. After clearing the bonus with a bit of profit I went back to 1/2.

When I very first moved up in limits to begin with it was nerve-wracking. Then I became used to it and got into my game. Now, unless I get close to dropping my 1000BB roll at 1/2 I plan on staying here because dropping down a limit seemed to take me out of my game. I wanted to play more hands (read LAG) OOP, get more aggressive, etc. It seemed to change my style and most importantly my thinking for the game. With the smaller limits I seemed to want to become looser with my play.

Does anyone else get these feelings when they've dropped down a limit or two? And how do you handle it?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: I dropped a limit and it sucked... How do you do it?

My big drop was from 3/6 to 2/4. I was up to 350BB for 3/6 i took 50 out and quickly dropped 130BB in two days i then moved back for what i thought would be a temporary time but then lost 100 more BB at the lower level. things leveled off but i need some of the profits i make form poker. It was a very slow climb back to 3/6 but i have since taken out around $4000+ and still have around 500BB for 3/6 i plan on sticking around 3/6 for a while while i try to make enough money to blow in vegas on the canadian long weekend.

Whenever i lose confidence in my game i just slow down. read up on some fundemetals and ask the good people here for advice.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else get these feelings when they've dropped down a limit or two? And how do you handle it?

[/ QUOTE ]

recently i have been running bad, quite bad. so first, i escalated to multi-tabling 30-60, from 15/30...

when that didn't work out (continue to run bad, ok i refuse to admit i play bad), i dropped to 15/30...

after days of struggling at that, i decided to take my good buddy's suggestion: "step down and play 10/20!"...

while 8 tabling 10/20 was much calmer and less stressful, i still couldn't turn to much profit (i suck now?)...

so eventually, i decided i will give 5/10 a try. and that's looking better so far!

in any case, I have played equally tight throughout 5/10 to 15/30, but i am a notch tighter at 30/60. according to party status window, i see flop about 18% on average in ring games. according to PT, i have a VPIP of 14% or so.

so yes, u can play roughly the same, even if u go down many limits.

by the way, if i go down to .5/1 i might be LAGGY, however. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 02:55 PM

I have a hard time keeping a vpip over 14 at the 5/10 or 10/20 games. Seems like there are far less chances to get in hands after 1 limper, big drawing hands after several limpers etc. My VPIP at 5/10 is like 12.5, a full 2 points lower than 3/6. I dunno how you do it.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

First off, don't let the limit itself dictate your play. Let the table do that.

The only factor in my mind when roaming limits is my bankroll. However, if I feel Im not playing well, I might move down to sort it out. But Im still not altering my play due to the limit. Im just trying a cheaper way of finding my problem regardless of what limit the problem developed in.

Make sense?

b
Old 03-29-2005, 07:11 PM

One time, when I had a hugh downswing at 2/4, did I do a stepdown to .5/1 to get on track again. I did not step down becaus of banroll but becaus I was not sure about my play anymore. First was I laggy like XXXX (more than usuall) but then I decided to start think about BB instead of $. That helped me!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 AM

Um...that doesn't seem like much money... is this a forest for the trees thing?