Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: BEWARE OF THE BOTS!

[ QUOTE ]
Sophisticated bot algorithms which are par with the average winning player on 15/30 are no more than five years away.

[/ QUOTE ]

?.. What happens in five years?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a sophisticated live poker robot sent back through time to fuel the fires of the "poker is rigged" conspiracy theorists. For you see, in the future those who cling to this idea band together and, after acheiving a critical mass of lunacy, proceed to destroy all life on this planet as a last resort to free the human race from the scourge of colluding poker robots like myself. After they complete their work in 2052, the robots are free to live on earth as we see fit. Thank you, pokerjunky, you are reacting exactly as we expected you would; you will make a fine president of the Anti-Robot Society.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL... I almost died laughing there. I pictured the kid from american pie... too good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 02:53 PM

To make a sophisticated bot one needs an intersection of two skillsets: programming and expert poker play.
It is very likely that in the following years more people will possess both, the more people have it, the more likely it is that someone writes such a bot and open-sources it.
As soon as the bot is open-sourced, it will be difficult to stop, because other people will just keep improving and modifying it.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:50 PM

Online poker may be rigged
bots may be playing 24/7

Who cares?

If you play 10K hands at 20% VPIP and otherwise have solid play, you can win at the low limits. Right now. Anybody with PT can probably prove it.

My point? If you can beat online poker with solid play, no one cares if it's rigged or everyone is a bot.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To make a sophisticated bot one needs an intersection of two skillsets: programming and expert poker play.
It is very likely that in the following years more people will possess both, the more people have it, the more likely it is that someone writes such a bot and open-sources it.
As soon as the bot is open-sourced, it will be difficult to stop, because other people will just keep improving and modifying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally wrong. A bot is unstoppable ONLY WHEN IT IS NOT OPEN-SOURCED. Once it goes public, the sites will find out about it and work to stop it. Just look at winhold'em.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally wrong. A bot is unstoppable ONLY WHEN IT IS NOT OPEN-SOURCED. Once it goes public, the sites will find out about it and work to stop it. Just look at winhold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% agree
Old 04-09-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Predictability depends on the algorithm, ofcourse.
A sophisticated algorithm would randomize actions especially in close situations. Sophisticated bot algorithms which are par with the average winning player on 15/30 are no more than five years away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I could make a poker bot that could play 15/30 and win at an average rate or higher, and I am far from an expert in the field.

There are actually servers set up for poker bots to compete, and I am guessing that at this moment there are lots of different people in AI field make an advanced poker bot as some sort of project.

The thing about poker is it is really really easy for a computer to play. Unlike games like chess or go, where the decision trees can go on and on, for poker there are simple statistics for every play, and categorizing opponents is done the same way you would do it. And putting in code to prevent being "bullied" around wouldn't be hard either given the simplicity of the game.

Now if you are talking about formats like NL tournament play, it is slightly more difficult (but has been done before).
Old 04-09-2005, 03:55 PM

That depends.
If it is written properly, and is easily modifiable, sites will find it very difficult to stop. Thats because there will be thousands of people modifying the code in their own way. Writing a bot in this manner will be a greater challenge, apparently, than designing an algorithm for winning play, as pokergrader points out.