Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Default cardplayer article

hi all,
this is a hand example from tom mcevoys recent article. I was just wondering if anybody would check on the flop and then raise or reraise on the turn? Would this be a dumb play?

5. You are in middle position with pocket kings and bring it in for a standard raise of about three to four times the size of the big blind. Your only caller is the big blind. The flop comes Aclubs 10diamonds 8hearts. The dreaded ace has hit on the flop! Your opponent checks and it’s up to you. What’s your best play? (A) Bet about half the size of the pot; (B) Bet more than the size of the pot; (C) Check

This is a tricky situation. Against just one opponent who has checked to you, a bet of about half the size of the pot should be big enough to find out if you have the best hand. If you get raised, you should probably fold. A much bigger bet will cost you a lot more if you are beat, and you can find out the same information at a cheaper price. The answer is (A).
Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: cardplayer article

You gotta find out where you stand. Worst case scenario he is slowplaying the Ace with a great kicker. I wouldn't check here whatsoever because youre automatically telling your opponent you are frightened of the ace and asking him to take the pot from you.

If he calls he can be on the straight draw, the gutshot or playing ace rag.

If I bet again on the turn and he called again I would play this hand very very cautiously. If he comes out firing on the river I could probably safely let the hand go.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: cardplayer article

I jus think that a raise on the turn shows alot of strength and could get any ace rag or draws out of the hand. Only hand that would stay w it would be two pair(which would rr and u can safey fold) or AK...might be able to get a fold from AQ against certain players. Not really sure, what do u guys think?