Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Folding J9s on the button w/ four-flush

Tough 15-30 game.

J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

3 limpers to me on the button (very rare in this game). I limp in as well. SB (strong player) raises - he'll do this with a wide range of strong hands. MP, CO and I call. 4-way to the flop. 10SB.

4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to CO, who bets. CO is the only really poor player in this game. I raise. SB now check-reraises. MP (also a solid player) now check-re-reraises. CO folds. I put SB on a big overpair. I think MP has either a nut spade draw, 78, or a set. I'm sure SB will cap it at 5 bets. I fold.

Weak or smart play?
Old 02-04-2003, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Folding J9s on the button w/ four-flush

Given your assumption about going to 5 bets, your flop decision is whether to put 3 bets up against a pot that will have 23 bets in it. So you're getting say 6:1.

Assume your odds of hitting the flush on the turn are 4:1. It sounds like the flush will be good about 2/3 of the time, but there will be redraws to bigger flushes and full house. So this is a marginal situation.

I think either folding or reraising (since you know it will be capped) are reasonable.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Folding J9s on the button w/ four-flush

I would cap. It might by you a free card since them might a) put you on the straight or b) try to checkraise you on the turn if they have a straight. I think MP would just call with the nut flush draw, wanting you and the CO to come in, so I have to believe your draw is good.