Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Free Money?

Thanks Bobby,

I had something like your story happen to me in a home game back in Florida once.

Best of Luck

H.B.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:55 AM

That's a great idea AA man. Now where's that time machine when I need it :-)

Thanks AA

H.B.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Mr Ho,

You nailed it about this kind of guy does not show up every day.

BTW, He was not having a good time by the end of his session. Very quiet. Seemed like a battered man by the end. In my opinion, I think the best thing for him was to get out of that game by that point.

Best of Luck

H.B.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:48 AM

Hello G 07, Welcome to 2+2!

I don't believe it's a case of, am I there to make money or am I there to make friends.

I'm there to fold, raise, check, bet or call as the situation dictates. I don't always make the correct play. But I'm always working on improving my game (books, reading the 2+2 forums, seminars, talking poker with better players, thinking about the game away from the table, plus I put in a lot of hours at the tables most weeks).

Even though I'm there for the sea shells (as Clark would say), I still have to be true to myself.

I know some players who will take advantage of any loophole that will allow them to stack chips. The poker world refer's to them as angle shooters.

I hate it when I see a local, angle shoot a tourist and get away with it. As a matter of fact, in cases of angle shooters trying to take a shot at a tourist (at my table), I often (always?) interject to the floor and try to put the angle shooter in their place if I am able.

To me it's not about "trying to make friends". It's about the sea shells. And I think you can go for +EV without falling into the dungeon of moral bankruptcy. In other words, you can go for the sea shells without being a mole.

Best of Luck

H.B.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:03 PM

Grifter & Noo Yawk,

Thanks for the input. You're right, I sometimes play WAY too long.

Thanks guys.

H.B.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:05 PM

Default this is so easy and important....

...that im ashamed its even being asked. its my biggest problem with the new breed of EV players S&M have created (but that's another rant).

1st-accept the stack of red (after protest mind you) but be ready to gamble it up with your "free" money dont be a stiff or a nit. encourage the F'n wild behavior.

2nd- check on the river you fool. show the man some respect but more importantly, give him some comraderie and encourage him (silently) to continue playing bad on future visits.

S&M have created soo many nits. guys who wont chop cause they dont want to lose an extra 2 cents an hour EV and in the meantime ratchet down a super "party" table that would have provided them an extra $20 an hour. players who aren't true professionals because they always go after the quick buck instead of the long term fortune.

i used to run a no limit home game with half mensans and half morons from the auto dealership i worked at. the "smart" MENSANS so berated the auto dudes about their bad play and smoking that they soon quit coming and broke the game. now without the contributers the MENSANS lost to me nearly every week. they never put 2+2 together. smart dudes forget the game is about people not cards.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:48 AM

Hello Howard,
You did everything right. Nice to see some integrity
shown by poker players. It does not all have to
be about the EV.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:52 AM

Default Re: this is so easy and important....(YES!)

Finally! The only correct answer to this post, IMO. No way would I bet on the end. Doing so will surely cost me money in the long run, as it will turn out just as it did: he leaves, feeling negative about the experience. He gave you a STACK of chips; here's your perfect chance to "repay" him with a single bet, which he may not even call!
All the stock answers about always making the "+EV" play are short-sighted. Notice I am approaching this only from a "profit vs. loss" perspective, which the nits clearly relate to. Karmically, you accepted his mercy early on, and showed none when the tables were turned. Bad move.
Excellent points, limon.
Cero
Old 02-04-2003, 07:04 AM

Default Re: this is so easy and important....

Let's assume you are playing for fun. Check it down, flip your cards over and say, "Hey bud, tough loss. How about I buy you a beer?"

Now, let's assume you are playing for money. Check it down, flip your cards over and say, "Hey bud, tough loss. How about I buy you a beer?"

The only difference is that in the 2nd example, you're trying to keep this guy playing with you in the long run. Who knows, maybe he will introduce you to a good home game with a ton of players just like him that will give you their money. Either way, checking it is the right decision.

--Jason
Old 02-07-2003, 05:00 PM

Default Re: this is so easy and important....

there's no question here check it and be nice to the guy. Hell you should always be nice to fish, especially one's that will give you a stack of reds.