Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Dan Harrington says \"Raise\", so soes Brunson.

"Harrington on Holdem" by Dan Harrington 1995 WSOP winner. Reviewed by David Sklansky befor publication.

Page 191.

"Case 3. A caller in third position you are in 5th position"

"A,A;K,K:Q,Q you should raise with these premium pairs"...three to 5 times the blinds."

Oh maybe because the Aces were both black you shouldn't raise with them. Yeah, now I get it! (BTW - if you are randomizing the way you play Aces in this situation not raising when you have two black Aces would be fine which goes along with Harrington's "occaisionally" calling here).

Brunson also says raise after a limper in Super system but I'll let you find the page.

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Strangely Played Hand in 10K at Harrahs

[ QUOTE ]
And lastchance, you "probably" should read Dan Harrington's book, a book Sklansky reviewed before it was published. Then tell me what Harrington says about limping with Aces after someone else has entered the pot. Of course I assume that yyou believe that Sklansky is correct so maybe you should just continue to live in your fantasy world. By the Way in Super System by Brunson he also makes a comment about how to play Aces after a limper. Hint: He doesn't agree with Sklansky. But what in the world do these two guys know about tournament poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cloutier and McEvoy also say only to limp with aces as the first limper in early position.

Maybe there are advantages to playing a move the books say is bad.

If you limpraise UTG with AA, it is kind of obvious what you have. It is easy for opponents to fold or to play for a set knowing you will put in the rest of your money.

If you limpraise with AA as the third limper, you may get more action. You may also be able to limpraise as a second or third limper as a semibluff with a mediocre hand and get away with it.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you limpraise with AA as the third limper, you may get more action.

[/ QUOTE ]

If David Sklansky limp reraises from any position, even if he's on the rail, muck your hand. He's got Aces!

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 02:54 AM

I could care less what you think about Sklansky or Phillips or me for that matter. So whenever you have a snide remark to make about me just put your head between your legs, look up between that crack and shout it to someone who gives a crap!

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BINGO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo is a gambling game. If you are so worried about "reverse implied odds" given this situation you should just move-in and maybe even jump up and say hey I've got Aces! I mean after all if you move in here you either win a small pot (the vast majority of the time, maybe > 97%) lose a big pot (maybe 1/2 to 1 percent of the time) and win a big pot the rest of the time when an idiot calls you and doesn't suck out. Sounds like a reverse implied odds killer to me!

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you raise with AA here you had better raise with a lot of hands or you pummel yourself with reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
BINGO! That's how I deal with it, at least.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, I can see that playing for a limpraise in an unusual situation might be a reasonable way of adapting to the circumstances and mixing up your game.

However, when someone raises 2 limpers, it would never occur to me they had aces, but when someone limpraises from any position you immediately think aces.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 AM

thats why you'll never make it past the first day of the wsop=p
Old 03-29-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: I Had the Aces

Interesting hand David. Although to be fair, Paul Phillips is only the 10th smartest poker player because you recused yourself. Deep down he must know his title comes with a mighty * behind it and your appeal to authority is slightly tainted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

(And for what it's worth, I greatly respect and enjoy Paul. He makes my top 10 bar none).
Old 03-29-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Dan Harrington says \"Raise\", so soes Brunson.

Do you really think HoH was aimed at players of DS's calibre playing in a 10K event?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would sometimes raise with AA here, and sometimes I wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky described a specific situation here. Tough table - two early limpers. No other information was given. "Sometimes raise...sometimes I wouldnt"... Are we to assume that a top tournanment pro like yourself decides on a whim whether to raise or not?

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of game theory?