Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 07:17 AM

Default worst session ever (no content)

4/8 triple draw 2-7, mainly heads up, lost 65bb, yuck.

i'll admit i was a bit rusty as i haven't played this game in a while, but still... i know i don't suck that bad.

for those of you who've been playing triple draw regularly, whats your worst downswing?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: worst session ever (no content)

Not sure about my single worst session is (less than 65BB, though, I think), but I think lowball games are more swingy than most. The short term luck is extremely high, and let's people who call raises cold and draw three have winning sessions.

Were you missing a lot of draws, losing a lot of close showdowns, etc? Also, I think it is easier to tilt in TD than most games.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:43 PM

That's pretty rough. I tend to stay away from headup TDL and am playing much smaller (pretty much sitting at whatever table has players up to 2/4) but I haven't lost more than about 40BB in a session. Generally, when I'm running/playing that badly (in any poker variant), I take a break and do something else. Even if my play is all right, my table image is shot and I'm faced with more aggression from my opponents in marginal situations (as people will often try to push around a player who's on a downswing) and variance can quickly turn a somewhat bad session into a very bad one (in terms of $$, not in terms of quality of play).
Old 03-28-2005, 08:10 PM

yeah i was losing a ton of 1 card draws vs. 3 card draws, showed down a lot of hands against the nuts, caught snowing at inappropriate times, etc, etc.

its my belief that this game is one of the swingiest if not swingiest form of limit poker. any validity behind this?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 AM

for what it is worth, after reading Daniel N.'s chapter on TDL in SS2, I sent him an e-mail asking him what he thought one should have for a TDL Bankroll, and he replied about 4 days later suggesting 1.5 times a Hold Em bankroll, so I would guess about 450BB or so. That tells me it is really swingy.
Hope it helps, and it was kinda cool that he replied, since he just won Player of Year.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM

In the first super system, the guy who wrote the lowball section maintained that it was the swingiest, but in his mind highest expectation game (I think). I don't know if having three draws increases or decreses the luck factor, that is something to ponder. It has to increase the variability, since the pots are bigger.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:16 PM

Blog With Talk of Triple Draw Swings
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its my belief that this game is one of the swingiest if not swingiest form of limit poker. any validity behind this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is a game where the good players have a much larger advantage over the bad players than holdem for example. I have had some rather large swings in a single session but not yet for an extended period of time.

-DeathDonkey

ps: how have I not yet played with you in the UB games? Maybe your name changed, I play these games all the time.