Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Age Question......

Started at 19. Now 23. I'm no good [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2003, 05:00 PM

I am 43 yrs old,I started playing 7stud 8 months ago,then started holdem(2-4 low level) 2 months ago,where i go to Atlantic city almost twice a week(Taj Mahal),most of the people are old(late fourties and fifties& older)which I keep in mind during the session, taking into consideration their long experience at the game,but this factor does not bother as much as the computer and on-line players,who spends more than 10 hrs a day playing on-line poker which i do my-self,and this point does not scares me as much as the mathmatics and engineering-minded players,who calculates his chances of winning or loosing in each street.I have my master degree in engineering,I used to be the best student in my school,college&university specially in mathmatics&statistics which the game all about.Before playing my first in 7-stud,I spent almost 6days of refreshing my statistics and studying the vriuos combinations of the 2,3,4,5,6&7 cards.Everytime I go playing ,I hardly lose a hand in the first 5 hrs then end up loosing all the money at the same table(Because I don't have the experience) which is very serious problem I am working very hard to solve it,so aging and mathmatical oriented people is hard to beat,if you don't have the basics of mathmatics&statistics don't ever get close to poker it takes years&years before you know where you are.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:26 PM

Thanks mate for having the same situation as mine,my job is getting boring now,I am an engineer 43 years old,I started poker 8 months ago after 6 days of revising my statistics and calculus,I go to atlantic city once or twice aweek to play 2-4holdem or 1-5 stud,where I make a good winning in the first 5hrs then lose them after that,I travel 150 miles from baltimore and I am thinking seriously of moving to atlantic city so I can play 5-6hrs a day only where i do my best,I spent alot of hours in studying poker statistics and playing on-line for fun I hope I can play for 5hrs aday only where i can be at my best.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:09 PM

or a high school physics, chemistry, or calculus teacher...

As far as I know, Clark County is having a difficult time filling all of the positions they have for teachers. This is one of the fastest growing school districts in the country - they can't build the schools fast enough. Not sure about the pay, though.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Can you make enough money to make it worth doing??

How much money do the top professionals make? (say top 100 players) I am currently attending a top law school and will be employed next year by a prestigious law firm making 125k per year. I love playing poker, but even if I was amazing at poker could I realistically make more than the salary I'll be getting at a top law firm. How many pro's make more than this on a consistent basis? Please respond because I'd like nothing more than to try my luck playing poker for a living.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Can you make enough money to make it worth doing??

I'm certainly not a top player, but I believe the top players can easily make $100K a year. Most pros probably make much less than that, though.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:18 PM

Default So basically, I shouldnt quit my day job

So unless I was amazing I should just get my degree and work 8-8 for a living.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: So basically, I shouldnt quit my day job

Obviously, it depends on your priorities. I currently have an $80K/year job... but I really don't enjoy the job (or Seattle) at all. I have no family... so I am considering quitting my job and moving (maybe to Vegas), taking a possibly lower paying job (like maybe high school teacher) and then playing poker for some extra spending cash. My life priorities aren't (and have never been) to maximize my earn... I'm much more interested, at least at this point, in trying to build a life that I actually enjoy.

If you have a family to support... or if you have financial obligations that require you to maintain a certain income... then it's probably not a good idea to drop everything and become a poker player.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:52 PM

I am currently 15 years old now and have been playing for 6 months with a group of guys in their 20's. I have quickly come around to hold my own after reading many books and studying many posts on here. I hope im out for a decent career.