Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Protecting your hand at .5/1

Hi - new poster here. Since the start of the year I've been playing .5/1, armed with PT and SSH. Not doing too bad - will post some stats when I've played enough for them to make any sense, but so far I'm on 3BB/100.

I've been waiting for an interesting hand to post - see what you think of this. I check-raised on the flop to try and face UTG+1 with a double-bet ... but that didn't discourage him!

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (12 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

River: (15 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Should I have called the flop and gone for the check-raise on the turn? MP1 might have had another shot at it, and UTG+1 would have to pay two big bets for the privilage of outdrawing me (I couldn't believe what he had, by the way!)

Or am I thinking too much? Bet all the way?

Rob
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Protecting your hand at .5/1

I would have bet all the way, but I like your thinking. The problem is, he's getting 9:1, even with your c/r, so he'll pretty much be able to justify calling anything here if he has a gutshot, BDFD with overcard, you get the idea.

Do NOT call the flop, and c/r the turn. If the turn gets checked through, you just missed out on exploiting an equity edge on one of the expensive streets.

Good turn bet, and value bet on the river.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:07 PM

It's hard to protect your hand OOP like this especially when you were the pre-flop capper. I'd play it straightforward, probably bet and 3-bet this flop. I'm a little uncomfortable with waiting until the turn to check/raise because it means a) you're only getting one bet on the flop) and b) the chance it's getting checked through on the turn.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:07 PM

I would have bet the flop immediatelly. They suspect it anyway when you cap preflop, don't let them take the chance of a freecard.

But since MP1 played pf very agressive it's a good play also.

Betting the turn is correct imo. You would miss 2 BB when it's checked through.

Nice hand.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:10 PM

UTG+1 and friends can already call the flop correctly with plenty of hands since the pot is already large. I think check-raising this flop was too risky a play and doesn't do anything since UTG+1 still gets 1-9.5 on his call. Just bet all the way I say.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM

I agree - bet out, reraise if MP1 raises. The limp/reraise is suspicious, but even if MP1 caps behind you on the flop I would still lead into the turn. If MP1 raises your turn bet, then you start thinking about calling down unimproved - especially since limp/reraise sometimes stinks of AA.

If you have any kind of a read on CO as being respectable, you might be able to put him on something when he calls your initial flop bet (if you lead out). An intellegent player has to realize that with the flop action it will likely be raised behind him and be okay with calling bets back - indicating he has at least some piece of the flop.

Disclaimer: I realize that we all know and love the players who will just call regardless, that's why I said having a read on him as being at least decent would help you here.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or am I thinking too much?

[/ QUOTE ]
This kind of thinking is good, but in this situation you don't need it. Just play it straight up here.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree - bet out, reraise if MP1 raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP1 isn't reraising anything because he is all-in for one bet on the flop, and that is the only factor that makes hero's line viable because you know he is throwing that last bet in when it is checked to him. I still bet-bet-bet though.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 PM

Yep - missed that.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even with your c/r, so he'll pretty much be able to justify calling anything here if he has a gutshot, BDFD with overcard

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing I found amusing about this hand is that UTG+1 had Jd2s - ie he called a double bet with nothing, hit his hand on both the turn and the river ... and still just called me down.

But I didn't post this hand to moan - just to find out how to play against people who just won't go away!

And also - people who insist on playing short-stacked! MP1 was all-in on the flop of course, so (in this particular hand at least) I wouldn't have been able to check-raise on the turn after all.

Thanks for the replies!

Rob