Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Default stop trying to \'protect\' your hand

look unless you can walk over to the other players' houses in the 20 seconds party gives you and point a gun to their heads and threaten them to fold, you won't protect your hand. just bet for value and bet for value and bet for value and bet for value and bet for value. oh, and bet for value. there will be times when you can get more value on your hand by gambling and waiting until later streets or going for check raises, but you won't protect your effing hand. just get the money in when you have the best of it.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: stop trying to \'protect\' your hand

Yeah!

I'm still going to try to protect my hand sometimes though.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Protecting your hand doesn't always mean you want your opponents to fold - you can protect your hand by making sure anyone who's going to call anyway isn't getting the right odds to beat you.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM

I think that 'protecting' your hand is raising for value while trying to get others with improper odds to fold BUT that does not mean you care whether they fold or not.

The way I understand it: If I don't raise and someone has the odds to chase a gutshot and they do chase it then I don't get any extra from it. If I raise and they don't have the odds to call and they (properly) fold then I just increased my pot equity. If they (improperly) call then I just got more money because of my pot equity.

But I agree with you, all these "how do I protect my set on an all diamond flop" posts are dumb
Old 03-28-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...unless you can walk over to the other players' houses in the 20 seconds party gives you and point a gun to their heads and threaten them to fold...

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be sweet.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...unless you can walk over to the other players' houses in the 20 seconds party gives you and point a gun to their heads and threaten them to fold...

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i prefer the nonviolent way, of causing isolated power outages to just the outlet their computer is plugged into
Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 AM

While I agree with your intent...

I think it's probably worthwhile for people to learn HOW to protect their hand.

The problem is that people (a) don't value bet enough, trying to be tricky, and also (b) perceive that they have a hand that is best but which their opponents have outs against, and automatically go into "wait for the turn" mode

it's a phase. they'll grow/learn out of it. but it's frustrating to watch person after person post about how they waited for the turn when they shouldn't have, and without ever reading the plethora of posts detailing when you should and when you shouldn't... or simply visit that section of SSH.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM

He said everything you need to know on this subject. Looks like many people haven't even read SSHE in this forum....sad.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said everything you need to know on this subject. Looks like many people haven't even read SSHE in this forum....sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are tons of situations, and a lot of subleties to protecting, betting for value

its not a simple program, yes Ed Miller laid out a great base guildlines, but it doesn't cover all situations you'll see
Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Of course one book can't cover all situations thats honestly impossible, he gives you the information so when you see a situtation you can analyize it with his information, and then make the correct decision. Just by what the orginal poster of this thread said, you can tell they didn't read SSHE.