Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 02:45 PM

Default bad blind defense stand?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: (11.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: bad blind defense stand?

Raise the flop.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM

The dude's raising from UTG, he isn't on a blind steal with junk. He probably has a premium hand.

Calling with 57s here is terrible, hell you should even fold this to an open raise from CO or Button.

I'd probably pump the flop as your hand is pretty vulnerable, having him check behind on the turn would be a disaster.

Good river check/call.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:52 PM

I think checking the flop is incorrect. Granted, pf raiser will probably raise, but why risk a free card? If it's a spade you're in trouble... pf raiser has a good chance of not being suited, but he could have 1 spade, and if he does it's probably higher than a 7 (think about the hands he would raise w/ pf).

Ok, but given that you check, since you are counting on pf raiser's flop raise, which you get... CHECK RAISE! You must make pf raiser pay to draw out on you w/ his A,K,Q,J,T, or 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I think betting out is better, since pf raiser may raise you, which would let you 3bet... make him pay to draw out on you!

There's no reason to think you don't have the best hand on the flop. Think about what you raise w/ pf UTG+1. AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT all of which you are ahead of. You are also ahead of AKo, AQo. You are ahead of 3 out of 4 AKs, AQs, AJs. Your odds of having the best hand on the flop are superb, but you are very vulnerable to getting drawn out on... protect your hand any way you can, starting with the flop... not the turn.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:00 PM

What are some guidelines to blind defense? In an earrlier post i was told i am to tight and need to improve my blind defense.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:02 PM

I think with a couple other players in on the flop and it is only 1 to you in the BB it is ok to call and try and get lucky at a loose table, but HU? 7/5, suited or not, is not a good hand.

As others have mentioned, bet this flop and 3-bet if raised. It makes it a ton easier to play both the turn and the river, since a reasonable player with just a pair and no spade would slow down to a 3-bet on the flop. What do you think UTG would have based on his play?
Old 03-27-2005, 03:07 PM

i thought he had a medium pp, or a-k, a-q, a-j..after the turn i figured he had his middle pocket with a spade....I'm just a fool i was told to defend my blinds more, and i just went crazy calling with suited gap connectors, connectors, or ace x suited...This is def a weak part of my game and i need to work on it.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM

This is not a blind defense against a steal. UTG is not trying to "steal the blinds" w/ a raise from UTG. You must give him credit for a solid hand. If everyone folded from UTG to CO or OTB and then CO or OTB raised.... then you would be defending your blind.

Having said that I'm not sure about blind defense standards. I base mine on the read of OTB or CO....

Sorry that wasn't very helpful...
Old 03-27-2005, 03:11 PM

I've seen your 10k hand post and I think getting your VPIP up is far more important than defending blinds properly.

Your VPIP is around 12 and you play Party's 0.5/1 game, it should be about 20. Focus on limping more hands preflop.

Following the guidelines in Small Stakes Holdem would be a start.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:11 PM

A good guideline is to defend you blinds often enough so that a player that simply raised everytime you were in the blind would not automatically show profit. For example, if you fold 2 out of every 3 times on the average to a button raise, he will gain 3 small bets the times both players fold and risk only 2 small bets when he is called. Even if the flop totally misses him and he folds on the flop, he is up 1 small bet.

This doesn't mean you have to call just to keep him honest with 7 high, but occasionally call and reraise with your better hands.