Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: 2004 USPC final table

Yeah. Going from the top to the bottom has to hurt...especially when you played right the whole way. Didn't like some of the table behavior, but given the lack of sleep and the stress that's understandable.

He seems to have the chops, that's for sure.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am generally very tough on folks who act out in any way at the table. I find it vulgar, to be honest.

D'Agostino pushing over the chips to Corkins definitely fell into this category.

On the other hand, I'm giving him a pass, because it was so brutal to watch.

Think of it--you play for days, hoping someone makes the mistake that Corkins made (and it was a TERRIBLE mistake, seemingly very out of character for him), then you have to parlay this event by actually holding a hand.

Then...THAT happens? You could really lose your mind, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It did also appear that Hoyt asked Jdags to push him the chips. I probably would have done the same thing.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:19 AM

I don't think he acted too badly given what happened. I've seen worse at a 3-6 or 4-8 game, and this event was for a million dollar first place. Maybe he was a little out of line, but wasn't even close to a Hellmuth blowup (I imagine if he took the beats Jdags took, he would have flipped over the table, or at least dropped about 50 f-bombs before exiting.)
Old 03-27-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Am I missinig something?

How was JDags out of line at all? He didn't berate anyone, not even Hoyte who made the stupidest mistake ever. From what I recall of the telecast, JDags simply looked shocked at his misfortune ...
Old 03-27-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Am I missinig something?

A Hellmuth blow up definitely would have been hilarious and expected, especially given teh history between Hoyte and Hellmuth at previous WPT event I forget which one. Anyone can help here?

(Hellmuth was getting owned by Hoyte and upon his exit told Hoyte "I can't wait to get you next time Hoyte")
Old 03-27-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Am I missinig something?

All he did was simply push his chips over. I would have probably done a lot worse. Considering the situation, I think he reacted fairly reasonably.

Of course, according to Norman Chad he was "out of line"...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
Old 03-27-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but did anyone else think that the all in with 8-7o was the worst play ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

What positions were they in, what was the exact preflop action? How big were the blinds and the size of the raise? I didn't have the volume turned up. thanks.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going from a $1m+ chip lead with 9 left to finishing 7th, with the beats he was getting, would make most rational people do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I genuinely felt bad for the guy. I mean, D'Agostino looked closer to a nervous breakdown than anyone I've ever seen playing poker on television.

And he would have been perfectly justified in having one.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:44 AM

That dude had some horrific luck, can't blame for being pissed off..can't believe he was as composed as he was.

balt999 journal about poker and life...check it out
Old 03-27-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What positions were they in, what was the exact preflop action? How big were the blinds and the size of the raise? I didn't have the volume turned up. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man.

It was folded around to Corkins in the SB. They each had somewhere around 650K. It was so close, in fact, that D'Agostino had ONE CHIP left after he took the beat.

Not sure of the blinds/antes because they don't really tell you very often. But they couldn't have been TOO high, because the two of them were still in 2nd and 3rd chip positions and I know it hadn't gotten to a bad point yet.

There was no earthly reason for Corkins to push there. It was just plain weird, I thought.