Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: ITM Hand - Good/Bad fold?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Scuba's case, I'm not opposed to it, but I just hadn't seen that play from him before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you studying me? Learning how to take my money at the table? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You post so many hands that its hard to avoid learning your tendencies. Of course, you only seem to post the hands that went awry, so maybe you are misleading us.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think calling preflop is fine, and I think raising preflop is fine. This decision would be based on my feel for how the BB was playing. If I had more chips than my opponent I'd be a lot more likely to raise something and expect them to fold.

Here, without any information, I'd generally prefer to call preflop. If my opponent failed to raise me after my limp, I would bet out on a good % of flops. If it came 986 I'd probably check, but when it comes 992 I'm going to bet. This advice relates mainly to lower limit games, where your opponent's won't be too fancy, but it should usually be profitable to play this way against most opponents even at the $200s.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're limping preflop I think it's to bet any flop, otherwise raise or fold preflop. Regarding your being more likely to bet on 986 flop vs. 992 flop well, that's interesting to me. I think my opponents at lower buyins will feel it is less likely that the paired flop helps me and will read me more for trying to buy it.

But, I don't think that is relevant in this particular situation anyway. In the lower buyins I play the BB will probably just fold on the flop unless it it hit him, and certainly will do that enough to make a bet on the flop +ev, especially since he didn't raise me preflop.

Bob
Old 03-27-2005, 01:32 AM

People at lower buyin's arent thinking about what you have, they are thinking what they have. If it doesn't match the cards on the board, usually they fold (not always of course). Trust me, they fold so often in these spots that it's not even close.

The problem with the 986 flop, is there are so many draws they can call with legitimately. There are simply far fewer legitimate hands that they can call with on the 992 flop. This doesn't mean that I won't ever bet on a flop like 986, but I'll almost always bet a 992 flop in this situation against an average PartyPoker low buyin player.

Try not to give your weak playing opponents too much credit.