Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose.
Dick Schaap 11 36.67%
Jim Grey 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: ITM - 3:1 Pot odds - Do you call this?

Oh, and it is not a coinflip, as some people are calling it. The pot odds may be correct but that doesn't make it a coinflip, you still lose the hand 2/3 of the time, at least.

For ICM believers, if the ICM says it's an even money call, then what advantage is there to calling vs. waiting and pushing when you have folding equity? None. You have the same money expectation from an ICM standpoint and the ICM ignores folding equity.

This is a clear fold to me.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:57 AM

This is a tough one. I have thought a lot about it and I realize that most of the time in a game I fold, but am not sure.

The situation is obviously very sensitive to the amount of chips the Button has.

Also, I think the way the big stack has been playing has to be taken into account. In the next hand, where you might be thinking about pushing, he will be acting first and will have huge FE on you.

Does having a hand like T8 make a big difference to you here? It plays a lot better against a random hand, but if the pusher is at all selective, it doesn't play that much better than 62.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:34 AM

Default I think its a fold... but I suck.

I'd fold... but just barely.

I say give him the money... if he's playing aggresively then he'll try it again and you'll be guaranteed (almost) a better hand. If he's not playing aggresively, then he's likely got a good hand.

The factors that barely make it a fold to me are that the big stack is much bigger than both of you. Even winning doesn't guarantee first... or really give you that great of a shot at it.

It a tournament, surviving is the name of the game. If the big stack is a player, he'll put the pusher in.

Squeeking into 2nd with one chip gets all the second place money. In a ring game, I'd put him all in in a heartbeat.

You'll have your chance to do the same thing he's doing. if he's throwing money into the pot, he'll get called by the big stack. If he's not, you don't want to get involved.

I'd put him all in in this situation with a 62o... but I wouldn't call his all-in.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly see your point, but with 2 small stacks and one big stack, already ITM, do you really think he will fold 2/3 of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Especially since he knows I'll fold to his aggression. But regardless, I would rather push 62o into someone than call with it.