Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Slow played and lost

Should I have bet out on this? I figured the pre-flop raiser to a bet and then my re-raise.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Villain checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Villain calls.

River: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4s 4h (full house, fours full of jacks).
Villain has Jc Jh (four of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Villain wins 14 BB. </font>
Old 03-26-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Slow played and lost

I think you should have lost a lot more money on this hand.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:23 PM

betting out on the flop wouldn't have made a difference.

villian would most likely call (not raise) as to keep as many people in the hand as possible.

I think you played it well. Even your river aggression looks OK, given I'd probably put him on a diamond flush at that point.

Luckily quads are fairly rare, and when you run into them, (as you did) you pay them off.

Regards,
Francis
Old 03-26-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I would have
Old 03-26-2005, 01:28 PM

bet flop, spend your time thinking about more common situations.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:33 PM

I like the way you played this hand. I wouldn't bet this flop a majority of the time, since you are way ahead of most hands and are hoping a hand like AK, AQ etc catches a pair or draw so you can get some action. If this were heads up, I might see you going ahead and betting...but with others in the pot you want them to get involved.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:35 PM

Wasn't he the one who slowplayed you? You were behind the whole time. You need to bet this flop. In typical fashion, everyone will probably check to the villain since he raised preflop. What are you going to do, C/R and knock out the BB and UTG? If you bet out and they fold, well, fine. Ideally, at least one calls, then villain raises and you can decide between smooth calling or reraising. I would lean toward reraising if you're heads up, but possible smooth call if BB and UTG have called your bet.

You are likely huge favorite in this hand. Ideally, the turn will bring a draw for someone (who is actually drawing dead to your fours full), and the your aggression on the flop will have made the pot big enough for them to stick around. The 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a great card since it opens up a possible open ended straight draw for someone with T9 and the flush. Once again, bet out and hopefully you'll get callers and villain will raise.

Given your line, I would play the river exactly the same.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I would have

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too
Old 03-26-2005, 03:29 PM

Wouldn't others dump this pf? UTG+1 raises after an UTG call...they are not trying to steal the blinds from back there. You don't have nearly enough odds to draw even to the flop IMO.
Then, bet the flop...villian is last to act, a c/r might have been OK if villian was next to act and you could trap the field for 2, but him being at the end means a c/r would get them to fold.
The only person who played this worse than you is the villian...he could have gotten unlimited action and taken a lot more of your money, and you should be willing to give it away to him. The *only* hand you are behind from an UTG+1 non-maniac raiser is JJ, even on the river. J8 won't raise from UTG+1 if not a maniac...and 88 probably wouldn't raise either (and if not 88 then not 66, etc)
Old 03-26-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't others dump this pf?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it really depends. Are these players who can not fold huge hands? If either of the players can't lay down AA or KK,or they stick around far too long with below average hands, implied odds are huge, and that makes this an easy call.