Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 01:25 PM

Default multi chasers

I have been having trouble lately trying to beat the $3/6 game at my local cardroom. I have been playing for about a year, read some five books or so, and consider myself a decent poker player with a students mind (generating $4/hr in sixty hours total). The problem is that in multiway pots, where you have several chasers going after different outs, a typically good hand like AK with top pair (or TPTK) seems to get frequently sucked out. I know I should embrace this, but I can only conclude that my strategy is flawed. I have been told to play more suited connectors in early and middle position, and avoid unsuited big cards unless in ideal situations (in late-late position, or with fewer than ____(?) previous callers). Am I correct in this reasoning? As you can tell from my name, it has been on my mind for a while now...lol.

E_R
Old 03-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: multi chasers

on the idea of suited connectors- the idea is to get in cheaply, so avoid them when no one else is in for the most part. You want to pay 1 sb to see a flop, because it needs to hit you fairly hard for you to like it. Big unsuited cards (AK, AQ, AJ, KQ) are good from virtually any position, and good enough to open raise. I'd three bet with AK and AQ and probably fold AJ and KQ to a raise without more specific information on the players.