Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Name Change & AKs - what to do on the river?

So as not to be confused with the more famous card counter, I have changed my 2+2 name from MathProf to MathMagician.

Here's a river play I didnt know what to do with:

Villian is a super Lag/fish - nearly 80% VPIP not much aggression (4% PFR and 0.9 PT total aggression factor)

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($5.07)
Button ($3.60)
SB :#A500AF(Villian)/ ($9.05)
BB ($4.97)
UTG ($7.79)
UTG+1 ($4.54)
MP1 ($6.90)
MP2 ($10.05)
Hero ($10)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $0.45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($1.20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, Villian calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Villian calls $1.90.

River: ($6.40) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

Final Pot: $8.40

Comments on any street are welcome, but specifically what should I have done on the river?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Name Change & AKs - what to do on the river?

I don't play a lot of micro-limits so I'm not sure if strategy is much different, but I'd raise more on the flop. If he makes another 1/24th of the pot bet on the turn, raise more there as well. By that point his line is so strange I think the river call is fine.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:51 PM

i think you played it right. on all streets.

he must have hit something on the river and you just have to think "darn. he's got a jack".
but actually i wouldnt mind loosing here.
loosing a pot to such a player is just some kind of loan you can charge interest for. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 11:23 PM

preflop looks good.
raise the flop a lot more. A pot bet would be making it $1.50. given this board, JT already has the made draw, but you don't want to give cheap cards to KJ, QJ, KT, QT, TT or JJ.
Chances are you are ahead, so make him pay.
Turn is fine.
River you are likely ahead but the call is the right play is calling with just 1 pair. You could make a very slim value raise, but if you do, and he reraises, you'll want to vomit. In those situations, you generally just want the show down you TPTK.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Results

Thanks all. In retrospect, I should have bet the flop bigger, but I'm glad to hear the river check behind is in general the agreed move here. It just felt awfully weak, but there were so many hands that beat me.

Villian shows 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and MHIG

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]