Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: playing drunk

I used to play drunk or high ALL the time. I even believed I was a better player when I was high. WRONG! You are not thinking in your normal state of mind, no matter how well you think you regulate your substances. I've sworn it all off when I'm playing. As for breaking up your predicable play, pick a favorite, middle of the road hand and play it aggresively when ever you get it. I like J9, 10 8.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:02 PM

Right -- I'm not thinking in my normal state of mind, hence I play somewhat better (live). If I was thinking in my normal state of mind, I would play exactly the same.

I have no idea if you are better or not, or if OP is better or not. I do know that I am better.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:02 PM

According to Hellmuth, Layne Flack plays NL after a sixer sometimes and is still very dangerous. I'm not Layne Flack or even slightly close so I absolutely do not drink before or during a session, ever. I even make it a point to not get smashed the night before a tourny b/c I hate dealing with a hangover. Drinking does help to soothe my "tilt-factor" after particularly bad session though.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:07 PM

So as not to be a total smartass, one of the several reasons I feel this way is that, when I'm high, my ability to multitask goes down but my ability to focus intently on one thing goes up. So online, playing several tables, with all sorts of other shite going on in my apt, and no real physicality to the numbers, I lose focus. But live, at one table, with real people and no other task in front of me, I zone in like a laser.

There are other reasons too, like reading people better that I don't feel like elaborating on (because I have to leave now).
Old 03-25-2005, 04:33 PM

try it.

you might play better. as long as you dont go over the top, i think this is something thast different for every player.

i nkow that after a few beers my chance sof going on tilt increase roughly 500% and my self confience in pulling off bluffs reaches roughly infinity, so unless i'm playing a low buyin game, i try not to go over the top

stealthcow-
Old 03-25-2005, 05:22 PM

When I played live, I used to play the "drunk" image. I would have three or four beers, and then start acting like I was getting too buzzed to play well. Maybe add in a "I need to find something to eat" statement here and there. All it takes is one hand played in a peculiar manner (better yet if you suck out and win with it) to get other players at the table to become your calling stations for the next few hours. This used to work until all the regulars at cardroom figured me out.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:14 PM

In reality I'm too much of a cheapass to give up any edge however tiny even on .5/$1 table. I'll blow $40 bucks on drinks but stay sober for $20 "casual" short session at a micro table - go figure!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you are looking for alcohol to be your excuse to act less predictable. You don't need an excuse to do that... alcohol isn't necessary.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

-nicely put alcohol is not needed. will only hurt in the long run. like u say to yourself i went on a good run last nite because i had a few beers in me..so u put more in and soon or later you are to drunk to care and trash ur bankroll. seen it happen

-sinful

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but that was not exactly my point. You don't need alcohol to act looser.... just be looser. Just do it, no need to use Alcohol as the excuse.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 07:18 PM

I am playing a tourny right now with two players who are calling to the river with bottom pair and a coordinated board.

I am pretty sure they are drunk (or stupid), so I am "randomizing" my play by getting into every pot I can with them.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you are looking for alcohol to be your excuse to act less predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sound to me like he is looking for becoming less predictable to be his excuse for consuming alcohol.