Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Second nuts with redraws

Playing in a 5-10 blind NL game, I have ~$900 in chips and am in the big blind. UTG limps in and looks more and more crestfallen as no one raises behind him. 5 limp to me and I rap the table with my 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot Size $65). Flop comes the dreamy 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, figuring UTG will bet. He leads out for $50, two people call, and I check raise to $250. UTG calls the extra $200 (he has a hard time laying down over pairs) One of the people who called folds, and the other one pushes all in for another $430. I call and UTG finally wakes up to the fact that he's beat and folds. Was my play correct? I mean, I know I have to call even if he flashes me the T8, with the flush draw odds, but was my big check raise on the flop pot committing myself in a stupid fashion, or was I just unlucky to get those cards at that time?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Second nuts with redraws

Being pot commited with the second nuts and redraws is not a bad thing. None the less, I'd still lead out.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:19 PM

This is bad advice. He had a strong read on UTG and acted very well. The flop action is very good - you trapped the field between the raiser and you with an incredibly strong hand. You played the hand fine.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 PM

This is not limit. What you should be thinking about is how do I get the overpairs stack naturally? The check raise gives off FAR too much strength.

Lets say you lead out for $60 or $70. Now Mr. Overpair raises to $250. You have given no real indication of strength, he is well on the way to becoming pot commited.

No Limit is not about bets, it is about stacks.