Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Border Crossing Question

I was heading up to Windsor Canada this weekend, I presently live in IN, and was curious as to the border crossing procedure there. I'm interested in as many stories as possible for you guys because I've got so much conflicting info from the people here.
Thanks for any help.

Cody
Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Border Crossing Question

[ QUOTE ]
I was heading up to Windsor Canada this weekend, I presently live in IN, and was curious as to the border crossing procedure there. I'm interested in as many stories as possible for you guys because I've got so much conflicting info from the people here.
Thanks for any help.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

It's generally pretty easy. Just drive across, stop at the little booth, and answer whatever questions they ask. If you have a bunch of crap in your car, remove most it before you go (less crap for them to go through if they decide to randomly search your vehicle).

If you or any of your friends do illegal drugs, leave them at home. Make sure there aren't any anywhere in your car that you may have forgotten about (only users loose drugs. Heh). If you must bring something, put it in your front pocket (though I wouldn't recommend bringing any at all). Realize this: you have essentially no rights at a border crossing. You can be searched, your vehicle can be searched, your vehicle can be completely disassembled and you can do nothing about it. Do not piss off a border guard. Do not argue with a border guard. Do not joke with a border guard. They will not smile. They do not have to let you cross. They can detain you for a very long time.

If you look like a freak or at all shifty, you are much more likely to get searched. Keep this in mind and use your common sense.

You will need proof of American Citizenship. Things have changed since 9/11. A drivers license may not be sufficient. Bring your birth certificate, or even better, your passport if you have one.

Remove any political materials from your vehicle. This is especially true if you have anything of a "leftist" nature, or anything at all critical of the current administration (I'm pretty sure I got another line in my file last time I came back from Canada. Heh).

If you have any cigarettes or alcohol, you need to declare them.

There is a two or three dollar toll.

This all applies going in either direction.

While this all may sound a bit scary, you'll probably be fine. I've been searched various times to various degrees, without it being too much of a pain in the ass. Just keep your cool, be polite, and answer their questions. Though when you're answering questions, there's certainly no need to add any information that they're not specifically requesting. Detroit/Windsor is also the busiest border crossing in the world. Simply for this reason you will more than likely sail through in about 30 seconds.

A quick google search turned up a couple pages that look like they have reasonable info:

http://www.necromantic.net/deadparrot/border01.html
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/p...der/border.htm

Have fun!

-Travas