Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 09:14 PM

Default What\'s your action on the river?

Don't bother telling me I should open-raise ... KQo up front is a hand I deliberately play inconsistently so I don't become too predictable. Sometimes I'll raise, sometimes I'll limp (although if I were suited, I'd raise roughly 100 percent of the time).

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

River: (12.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ....

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

I'll give results and thought process behind my river play after a few responses.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: What\'s your action on the river?

I'd bet and call a raise.

I don't mind two bets going in on the river, but I wouldn't want three. Also, I don't think you're going to make any more from the CO to make a c/r the best play.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet and call a raise.

I don't mind two bets going in on the river, but I wouldn't want three. Also, I don't think you're going to make any more from the CO to make a c/r the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd open-raise the flop. Why wouldn't you with KQo?!?! other than that, i second this post.

ps: just kidding on the open raising. just doing that to bust you. i read your "precursor" and couldn't help myself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 PM

I would bet/call here.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:51 PM

Why did you check-call the turn?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:55 PM

Default RESULTS

I check-raised the river. MP3 called, but the CO folded. So I gained 3 bets instead of 2.

Normally, I don't C/R this kind of hand. But I did for the following reasons:

1. As the PF raiser, and given his line/my holdings, I couldn't give MP3 credit for KK or QQ. I figured him for AA or AK, two hands I beat. TT is my biggest nightmare here.

2. Yes, the flush is out there, as is a straight, but someone would have to have chased the gutshot or go runner-runner. I'm eliminating with good cause the prospect of MP3 having such a hand, and the CO would've raised with a flush (again, he'd have to go runner-runner, and that would be looking for monsters under the bed).

In the event a straight is out there, my C/R probably isn't putting me at risk to lose more bets, because a straight has to fear a flush. Ditto for someone holding a set.

3. Additionally, I have one of the flush cards, making it slightly less likely that a flush is out there.

4. The CO might overcall MP3, but he might not overcall Hero AND MP3. By going for the C/R, I might get that one bet out of him that I wouldn't by betting out.

5. My biggest problem is if the CO raises MP3. Since he didn't, I felt safe about raising. But if he did? Well, we'd probably be discussing why it's not a good idea to C/R the river with a hand far from the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 PM

I like eveything but you should raise UTG with KQ, i would then bet the river.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like eveything but you should raise UTG with KQ, i would then bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you read the poster's original comments.

Why do you think that betting the river is better if you raised preflop? I'm not quite sure I see the connection between those two. So much will change in the hand depending on how MP3 plays his hand that I don't know if you can conjecture that far.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 AM

your betting the river for value, not because you raised preflop, you have 2 pair now.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:21 AM

without the pfr I like the flop and turn play. I definitely bet the river and call a raise. With that board I dont think you can be sure that MP3 will bet or that you would enjoy calling a 3bet. Congrats on landing the C/R but you would be kicking yourself if it got checked through.