Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: This is really getting to me

Great post Dan, I never thought of that if I would want to hang out with these poeple outside of poker, I probably would not, the only thing seeminly we would have in common is poker
Old 03-22-2005, 10:58 AM

" I havent even hooked up with a girl in the last 3 months "

Taking care of this would solve many of your problems. When I was in my late teens and early 20s going for a week without sex would put me in a funk. I honestly think you need to have sex, before you make any long term decisions. You would be suprised how much sexual frusteration can negatively effect your decision making.

I am not joking or trying to be funny by the way.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 PM

Read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
Old 03-23-2005, 12:12 AM

Really I think most of the advice given here boils down to the same two points:

1. Make time in your life to do other things.

2. Some of those other things should be activities/goals/pursuits that you feel good about, like deepening your relationships with friends or women, or working to accomplish something "productive," like pursuing a career or exercising or doing something creative or performing charity work.

Seeing a counselor is a good start. I agree with other posters that you should consider taking a "vacation" from poker and that, when you return to the game, you need to set and keep limits on the amount of time and money you spend on it. If and only if you CANNOT stay within those limits should you quit playing poker entirely, with the help of Gamblers Anonymous if necessary. Hope this helps.

Crooked
Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also dealing with the morals of taking money from people that I know really should not be playing and rather be paying bills and taking care of there children.

[/ QUOTE ]

In another life that I like to refer to as "my time in the Army", I struggled over a lot of moral issues dealing with my particular job. To the point where I was literally losing sleep over it. When my enlistment period was over, I opted not to stick it out & go for 20 years and retirement. I was offered a civilian position, doing the exact same job & making very good money, and I turned it down even though I had no other job prospects at the time. What it boiled down to for me was that no amount of money or financial security was worth my psyche. I think that's something you need to look at in your own life right now, and come to an honest decision on it.

You are still young, and you are getting an education which will open many doors for you in the future--there is no reason whatsoever for you to continue playing poker at the level you have been doing. If you can limit your play, fine. But if you cannot limit your play, or cannot escape the moral & social aspects of it even when you are not at the table, you not only should quit, you need to quit.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:02 AM

If it's a big enough issue where you feel bothered by it so much that it's -EV on your poker game, take a break and re-evaluate. You might consider volunteering somewhere or cutting back hours and being more social, etc. If you feel bad about taking other people's money, you shouldn't. It's not like you're making the decision for them, they're playing on their own free will and as a poker player it's your job to extract their money the best way you can.

I go through the same things sometimes but realized that poker is something I love and it's the nature of the game that money is involved and I'm in it to make the most. It doesn't define me. I'm not poker and poker is not me.

Poker is just something I do and enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 05:40 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
If it's a big enough issue where you feel bothered by it so much that it's -EV on your poker game

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think money is the most important aspect here.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 PM

you are what u eat...are u telling me ur not eating the poker chips...as you are bc they pay for your food or at least a percentage of them do...so in essence you are a poker chip. Now for the person who was masterbating to the word graduate...if you graduate to the black chips...then you can literally wipe your ass with hundred dollar bills ..then possibly give those dirty smelling bills to charity [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that will make them feel better and your ass will be very clean.