Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Was this too weak?

you have an over pair and he is betting the pot from bb...,

You raised preflop and BB just called. Its unlikely he has AA or KK here. He wouldnt call with J9..

The only hands that beat you that he is likely to have are 33, 99, JJ..
He is in 1st position and called your raise.. he could have AJ, but I fold it to a raise in BB... like you said.. you've never played this guy...

you likely have to spike a Q to be comfortable here. I like your fold.

Option 2 would be to raise to $40... this move is fine if he folds or calls.. but if he pushes you must fold.

is he calls and checks the turn you have to check behind him unless you hit a queen. if he bets you have to fold.

There is nothing I like about this hand. good fold!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Borndizzknocks
Old 03-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Calling doesnt solve anything. Youll be as lost on the turn as you were on the flop. I think the obvious play here is to raise a decent amount, and fold to a push.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Guys I hope you note this is 1/2 no limit not .1/.25

I give these players a bit more credit.. and barring a read I lean more towards the fold. I wont win too much from this pot.. if you raise he will likely fold, unless he has you beat. If which case your giving away money there and then again on the river when you call his value bet.

Thats my two sense. At lower limits I like your plays, as you stand to lose less.

I might just be too weak tight.. but I'm a bit of a nut peddler.

Cheers

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Borndizzknocks
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM

"Guys I hope you note this is 1/2 no limit not .1/.25" Actually, it's .50/1. So split the difference [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"I give these players a bit more credit.." In general, I agree. But how often do good players overbet? Let's assume the BB really hit the board hard (set)... is he going to overbet it? That only makes sense if the player thinks the other player will see it as a suspicious bet.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM

I'll fold. Folded against a few of these fishy raises today at interpoker's 0.50-1$ NL, and saved myself quite a few bucks, cuz they showed their flopped straight/set/two pair. Last time i didn't fold to one of these, i raised about the same PF with KK, got called by 33 that hit his set, he overbet into me, i raised, he pushed... I called...
I'm becoming more and more convinced of the simple rule... if they bet big, especially after they just flat called a big PF raise, they have one pair beat.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys I hope you note this is 1/2 no limit not .1/.25

[/ QUOTE ]

It is? I thought OP said .5/1

Even still I hate a fold in this spot. I agree with Kurto that it could be some diabolically tricky move by thinking on the 4th or 5th level, but I just don't feel it's very likely. But I could be wrong...I'm still learning.

KoW
Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 PM

I'm confused, when you look at the hand from BB's perpective, why would he overbet the pot if he hit a set or had AA/KK? Would he do it in the hopes that the preflop raiser would have a perfect hand and would notice an odd bet and really want to challenge it? Perhaps, but I'm gonna go with Ockham's Razor on this one. He hit a little bit of a hand and doesn't want you to call. Go ahead and raise. If he reraises, then you can fold because he's either crazy about his top pair or hit two pair with J9s.
I think folding to an overbet from BB on this flop is ridiculously weak.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:15 PM

Yes, except almost every small stakes player in existence would check a set or two pair here. And 1/2 is small stakes.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:27 PM

I believe folding was the best choice
Recently I also had bad experiences in calling this kind of overbet
and if I were to raise, and then call his river value bet, I would lose much more than the times I won the pot when he folded
Old 03-23-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe folding was the best choice
Recently I also had bad experiences in calling this kind of overbet
and if I were to raise, and then call his river value bet, I would lose much more than the times I won the pot when he folded

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you are going to make the statistically wrong move because of anecdotal evidence? Poor choice, poor reason.