Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Math question about AA.

Well I wouldn't mind a fold if the first person raises all in except 1 chip and folds to my re-raise.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM

Here is a table of expected EV for various hands.

Anytime you can do beter than that by taking the pot pf, you should have no complaint, I think.

Looks like ya done good.

Regards

Gar
Old 03-22-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one bluffs into a dry pot

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is a "dry pot?"
Old 03-22-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing wrong if you're happy to just take it down preflop with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when people do this to me. When you make a statement like this, could you spend the time to elaborate more?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM

im interested in this post... what are some of the other options you think you might have? .. flat call.. and push all in on the flop if board doesnt pair?.. mini raise to 600 maybe? probably still get the small stack out and you would get the large stack heads up. I think I would probably go with the last option the 600 raise would be enough to cover the small stack.. he folded to 1000 so he should fold the 600 too dont you think?
Anyone agree with these or do you think eccco played it the best possible way>?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 PM

Why should you ever want to take it down on the flop? You havent explained this.

When you have 75%-85% odds to beat ANYTHING, forget "taking it down". You want as much money in the pot as you can get.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 PM

It's bad advice.

Any pot you can win preflop with a re-raise is a no-risk situation. It would be nice to double through every time you are holding AA, but winning a decent pot PF like the original poster did is good, solid poker.

The hands that you want to call here will still call and draw to their 2-outers, but you aren't going to run into other high pocket pairs and AK-AQ every time you have aces.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you have 75%-85% odds to beat ANYTHING, forget "taking it down". You want as much money in the pot as you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a more difficult question. You have those odds against 1 hand. Against 2 I think you have around 60% (someone check the charts, I don't have them here). Against 3, you're under 50% and that's no fun. I would think if the possibility exists of going to the flop with more than 2 other players, you're better off to take it down right there.

After that, I think there has to be a way of weighing that risk with the amount of chips you realistically can get added to the pot after the flop and still win. Perhaps your opponents are the type that will fold their middle pair unless they catch their set. If that's the only way to get one more chip out of them, then it's obviously better they just fold now. If your opponents are the type to push top pair, that's another story.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:59 PM

The thing about any hand is that as the pot gets big, you need to make winning that pot your priority and stop trying to make it bigger. With AA preflop, anytime there is a raise and a reraise with biggish blinds it is nearly always correct to go ahead and push. Most of the time you are going to get a caller here anyway and aren't losing anything by putting your money in the pot right away.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:06 PM

If you raise just enough for the one player to go all in, the big stack will call as he has already sent the message that he is willing to do this. IMO, you def don't want to play against two hands, especially a guy with more chips than you. Taking it down is a nice increase and safer. Unless the big stack is a lunatic, in which case he would probably have called your raise. If you are right and are down to a 65% chance to win, that is comparable to AQ vs KJ heads up. Think about how many times you've seen the bigger hand get beat. Take the raises. Their are times to play AA in the strongest and most obvious ways, this is one of them.