Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Borgata

....upon further reading, other rumors include $3 max rake, free parking for the 1st year, and a 2-1 buffet comp for 2 hrs of play. It sounds too good to be true, and probably is, but we can always dream!

-- Homer
Old 01-21-2003, 06:59 PM

Default what is \'pink\' game?

Old 01-21-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: what is \'pink\' game?

My understanding is that it's 7.50-15.00 Hold'em, played 3-6 with the pink $2.50 chips that one sees from time to time in use at the blackjack tables.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Demise of the Trop Poker club

Hey MRBAA,

The low limit hold em games in AC are better than the ones at Foxwoods IMO, while I believe stud is softer in CT. Trop spreads 2-4, 4-8, and 7.50-15 Hold Em (pink game)..sometimes there is a 10-20-30 Hold Em game also. For stud, Trop has 1-5, 5-10, 5-10-15 (sometimes), 15-30-45 (sometimes). At Taj, there is 2-4, 3-6, 5-10, 10-20, 15-30 and higher hold em. For Stud, there is 1-3, 1-5, 5-10, 10-20, 15-30 and on up. Games are better at Taj generally which is a much bigger room with more action. Trop is more clubby, but the pink game is very soft and big money can be won for those stakes (bring a seatbelt and lots of hundred dollar bills). 5-10 hold em at Taj is good, as is 4-8 at Trop. 5-10 stud can either be real tight or great depending on the lineup but stud is better at Taj at this level. At either place, get a players card so you can get comps ($1 an hr for low limit at Taj, be sure to clock in and out) and $1 an hr at Trop when they gun your card. Good luck....post if you decide to head down..

Jeff

Old 01-22-2003, 12:45 AM

Going off the topic somewhat, how can you get a room at the Taj on Friday and Saturday if you only play poker. They give the room from Sunday thru Thursday. Any help?.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:35 AM

Hobart,

Getting rooms at Taj on the weekend is very difficult even during the offseason (the summer is near impossible). They have a limited number of poker rate rooms ($65 plus tax) if you have established play there...ie: have a Taj card so they know you play plenty of poker or have on prior visits. Call 1-800-72-Poker and talk to Marcia (M-F, 9-5). Book weekends at least a month in advance and you have a shot at the discount rate...the full price of rooms there on weekends (200 and up) isn't worth it in my opinion. You can find cheaper rooms at Tropicana (esp. if you book in advance)and just commute over.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2003, 06:13 PM

poker room rates at the taj are for 30-60 players only. i just called up to book a weekend trip and they said i dont qualify for that particular weekend i play 20-40 lol they gave me a room for march.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM

It is very difficult to get a Taj Poker Rate Room even if you are a regular. The 30-60 requirement is only for busy holiday weekends typically or sometimes on weekends during the summer. They have a very limited number of rooms to give away at the poker rate. In general, playing any limit will qualify you for the poker rate (as long as you have a history of frequent play). I play 10-20 typically now, but also a lot of 5-10. I have gotten the rooms before. Call way in advance...avoid summer and holiday weekends. Weekdays are no problem.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2003, 11:00 PM

Whether or not the Trop room closes, it will almost surely have no action above the lowest limits.

I think the Trop room is failing because it is nearly impossible to find. As a result, only regulars make their way to the room, and the games stink. In contrast, the Taj room is more visible than any room in Vegas -- everyone who uses the front entrance has to walk right by and the the glassed-off windows encourage visitors to watch games on the rail. As a result, plenty of curious gamblers end up at the poker tables.

I know everyone dreams that the Borgata will offer a wonderful room and put a dent in the Taj's business, but I have my doubts in the long term. First of all, there just aren't that many good poker dealers and floor staff in AC. Is the Borgata going to steal every competent person from the Taj? Moreover, if the Borgata hides the poker room, players will find the action better at the Taj and will return. Just my guess.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the info, generally I play 20-40 or higher. The problem is the staff often refuses to start a 30-60 game if they are afraid the 20-40 games will break. I generally go on the weekends and the 30-60 is spread for holdem only on occasion. The 30-60 stud is fairly steady but I don't play. Thanks again, by the way I usually paly with Doc, Boris, Freddy etc the usual gang.