Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 PM

Default AK Overcards in 15-30 Kill - Is reraise automatic?

I'm in the cutoff in a kill hand in a good 15-30 game, somewhat looser and more aggressive than average.

UTG limps, another early player limps, killer raises, next 2 call, I call with AKo, big blind and limpers call.
(This is way more callers than usual in this game. And normally I would reraise with the AK, but I was a bit beat up at this point).

So - 7 in to see the turn with 7BB in the pot.

Flop: 9 7 4 rainbow.

Checked to the player 2 to my right who bets, next raises, and I reraise. Both these players are aggressive and the action could well represent anything including overcards, straight draws, one pair. So I think there is a very good chance that my A and K are outs. Ignoring any possibilities of a check raise from up front, I think I should play, and therefore I reraise to thin the field and possibly buy a free card - What do you think?

Anyway, the reraise is only called by the original bettor and the raiser.

Turn: 2 still rainbow.

Checked to me, I check (I think there is 0 chance of getting any pair to lay down).

River: 2

check, bet, I call, call. Bettor has J9o to take it down.
I called because I had the best non pair hand, and I thought it had some chance of being best.

Thanks for your feedback - I am struggling with my play in these situations where I am having difficulty assessing the strength of my opponent's hands.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:31 PM

Default Re: AK Overcards in 15-30 Kill - Is reraise automatic?

I don't think your preflop and flop play mesh with each other. It seems as though you don't think of AK as a premium hand before the flop, but then when the flop totally misses you it suddenly becomes a monster.

Before the flop you just called instead of 3 betting, when there's a very good chance you have the best hand. On the flop when the action seems to indicate you are behind, you decide to start jamming.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:39 PM

I would fold on the flop without thinking twice. Its very possible you could be drawing dead here.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:23 PM

aside from three-betting preflop, I think played OK. Possible river fold, but there's enough in the pot for a crying call.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:32 PM

Default Thanks for responses so far - more feedback would really hlp

Especially since the advice so far is split!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Thanks for responses so far - more feedback would really hlp

ak or aq offsuit does not play that well with that many players. so i agree with your pre-flop play. I would have 3-bet with ak suited, aa, kk, qq or ocasionally a hand like JTs.

as for your play on the flop you either 3-bet or fold. When you 3-bet and take the free card you should almost always call the river but never overcall.

in a loose game like that you should consider folding more often on the flop because you said the anyone with a pair will call anyway.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:08 PM

Preflop, AK is almost always a 3 bet for me, especially after a kill blind has raised(a raise from the kill blind doesn't necessarily mean alot of strength). However, in this situation with 5 players already in, the reraise is not going to accomplish much so I would have played the hand the same way preflop. After completely missing the flop, this is an easy fold for me. You only have 2 bets invested in the hand and there will be better opportunities than this.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 PM

"You only have $30 invested in the hand"

This is irrelevant.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:25 PM

I think it is very relevant with respect to the fact that many players can't get away from the so called premium hands after the flop even when it is obvious that they are beat.