Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: I think what bothers me the most is her starving to death

[ QUOTE ]
I am undecided as to what should ultimately be the fate of Terry. It seems like she has no hope of recovery but her parents swear that she reacts to them and her ex it looks like has less than honorable motivations. With no written document I left to decide between the word or parents and her ex. It's an easy decision for me, but the courts who heard much more evidence decided differently. However what really bothers me is the idea of just letting her starve and die of thirst. Wouldn't the most humane thing be, if the decision to let her die stands, to use some type of poison gas or shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

A point of clarification: He is NOT her ex-husband.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Terri Schiavo\'s tube will be reinserted soon

[ QUOTE ]
No it is not. It is the place for the courts and the state to decide. They decided and confirmed several times that Terry HAD made clear to her friends and husband her strong will to be euthanized under such circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard a word about her friends. Her husband conveniently "remembered" a conversation he had with her about how she wouldn't want to live that way after he was awarded a huge sum of money the he requested to use for her care and rehabilitation. The courts blundered. The problem is, unlike a criminal death sentence, there is no executive check or possibility of pardon. Federal intervention in this case is not completely out of line.

[ QUOTE ]
Her parents, the ones intervening, have admitted that Terry had never discussed such an issue with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently she didn't really discuss it with Michael Shiavo either. Did you notice how he slipped up on on the Larry King show when he said "none of us" know what Terri really wanted. Whoops.

[ QUOTE ]
Further, she has no cognitive ability. She has no concept of self.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
She is a body that simply reacts. She is no more than a series of different reflexes. It is difficult to say that somone would end up being murdered in this case; its more like when you stop watering a plant.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very good friend of mine just lost his son. He was five years old, severely handicapped, could not speak, and had to be fed through a tube his whole life. Perhaps you'd like to tell him at what point it would have been okay to "stop watering" him.

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line, she wanted to die under these circumstances and her parents are selfishly attempting to keep her alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

or she never told anyone whether she would want to die under those circumstances and her husband is selfishly attempting to put her to death....

Terri Schiavo deserves at least the burden of proof and government checks enjoyed by conviced criminals facing the death penalty.

no will = no kill.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:23 PM

If her husband is only concerned about money, then why would he turn down 700k from the right wing groups to walk away from the case and give Terri's parents custody of her?

Your argument doesn't hold water.

[ QUOTE ]
no will = no kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you stole this line from me. Give me credit for it please.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If her husband is only concerned about money, then why would he turn down 700k from the right wing groups to walk away from the case and give Terri's parents custody of her?

Your argument doesn't hold water.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to save face now. If he took the money (I thought it was over $1 mil) then he'd be admitting that all his requests to end her life were not made because of her unwritten will. Lying under oath and attempted murder charges could possibly follow if he had taken that offer.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no will = no kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you stole this line from me. Give me credit for it please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I stole that from you. I figured everyone had seen you say it already. My bad.

no will = no kill
(c)2005 Dead. All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of federal law.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard a word about her friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do more research. Specifcally, learn more about the evidence presented in the court cases which led to the judicial rulings.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further, she has no cognitive ability. She has no concept of self.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? How is this irrelevant?

[ QUOTE ]
A very good friend of mine just lost his son. He was five years old, severely handicapped, could not speak, and had to be fed through a tube his whole life. Perhaps you'd like to tell him at what point it would have been okay to "stop watering" him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, as far as i can tell, this case is not even close to the same as Terry's. Regardless, i would say it is okay to stop watering him under these circumstances:
-a close family member, with legal authority, contests that keeping the child alive is not in his best interests.
-fair due process is offered by the courts to ensure the best interest of the child is met
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some might call it "congressional activism"

Of course, it's not at all activism when Republicans do something that Republcians want done.

Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

First point:

Congress is the political branch, activism is OK, indeed good.

Court activism is bad (they are not supposed to be political)

Second Point:

Bush won Florida in 2000 in part because the Clinton Administration did not value the freedom of Elian Gonzales. If keeping Terri alive helps JEB in 2008, then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congressional activism is okay when it is LEGISLATIVE in nature. Congressional activism is not okay when it is judicial in nature. The law passed this morning by Congress is nothing less than an ex post facto attempt by Congress to get a second chance at overturning a judicial decision that they do not like.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congressional activism is okay when it is LEGISLATIVE in nature. Congressional activism is not okay when it is judicial in nature. The law passed this morning by Congress is nothing less than an ex post facto attempt by Congress to get a second chance at overturning a judicial decision that they do not like.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The federal government checks the actions of the states all the time. We had a war about that, remember?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The federal government checks the actions of the states all the time. We had a war about that, remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread my post again. I was not talking about the separation of powers between the state and federal government. I was talking about the separation of powers between the legislative and judicial branches.

There are also aspects Congress' actions that violate the principles of federalism. However, comparing the US government stopping states from seceding is nowhere near a fair comparison to Congress forcing an issue decided by a state's highest court to be decided in a federal court.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah. Usually when a state tries to seceed, the federal government will step in. They're kind of picky about that type of stuff.

Wait a minute. I know that when I get all confused and riled up I stop, take a step back, and ask myself: What would Ann Coulter do?

So then I ask you: Where in the constitution does it say Terri Schiavo's has a right to a feeding tube?