Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM

Default WSOP Pstars Qualifer Pocket Tens

Pokerstars 2000 player point WSOP qualifier (1st place only)
468 entrants, down to 188

I was doing quite well playing TA early and doubling up on KA 2x. The villian in this hand was talking a lot of trash to me back and forth and really getting under my skin as he bluffed me once and then called one of my bluffs later. Other than that he is not such a good player calling big bets with 2nd pair J kicker etc.

Blinds 100/200
HERO $4500 UTG 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
VILLIAN MP $4650
BB $3000
HERO raises to 800, folded to Villian who calls, BB Calls

FLOP Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB Checks, Hero bets $1000, Villian calls, BB folds
TURN 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets $1300, Villian calls
RIVER A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villian Moves ALLIN

Well A was the biggest scare card possible for me. I requested time and took the full 120 seconds to make my play. what would you have done?
Answer to come.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: WSOP Pstars Qualifer Pocket Tens

first clear mistake to me is that u need to raise more preflop. i hate min-raises
after that, bet about 3/4 pot on the flop
then i push the rag turn card
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM

sorry i had to edit postblinds were only 100.200 not 200/400, i raised 4x blind with my tens. Ya i would never min raise with tens, im not so excited to get action here.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM

makes more sense than now

i still think pushing on the turn will probably be ur best option, as ur loose opponent is like to call with only top pair or some crap (or he might even think ur bluffing and just wants to piss you off my calling ur bluff and going all in looks like a bluff to weak players)
just my thoughts.......
Old 03-21-2005, 07:50 PM

Bet more on the flop against two opponents and 2,500 in the pot. You underbet the turn too, probably an even bigger mistake. 1300 into what, 4500?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM

First off, I'm no expert.

In a winner take all event I would say its an easy call. You're getting about 7-to-1 and only have 1400 left if you fold. Villan has bluffed before and you've shown weakness checking when the A hit. With a KQT flop and a stack of less than 1.5x I would have probably pushed on the flop. Definitely don't like the smallish bets on the flop and turn.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:00 PM

Looks to me like villain either just completed his straight or flopped it and was sucking you in... I bet he had AJ-TJ here...

With the size of the pot and type of tourney this is I would probably call and hope your hand is good. There's no chance this is a stone cold bluff here though, in my opinion, because I don't see how he could possibly think you would fold given the size of the pot and your stack.

EDIT: lol well after seeing your other post, apparently I was wrong... however I still stand by my reasoning here...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:04 PM

I agree he's not on a stone bluff if he's decent but his play is consistent w/ AK, AQ, AT, KQ.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Ok so Villian puts me all in and i spent 2 minutes thinking and discussing with my roommate trying to figure out what he had been calling with maybe AJ slowplayed or J9 (which he played a lot)
but maybe AQ or A10 or AK which we hoped. Then as Most of you pointed out with 10 seconds left i realized I had only 1300 chips left if i folded and as said in HOH you gotta make your move when you got it.
SO i call and he shows ...
Q8!!! and i laughed for about an hour and did about 4 backflips in my room.

Regarding my flop and turn bets, Honestly I was pretty scared of that flop with the str8 and he was such a trapper. but you are definitly right if i had pushed turn i wouldnt have been in the predicament i was in on the river, right?
Thanks for your thoughts guys.