Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: turn play

more importantly, if the LAG is pretending to have K, he may 3 bet anyway
Old 03-21-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raise to see where you stand. If you're re-raised, then you can decide to call down or fold. But calling this raise is like saying, "ok, i think you have a king and I can't beat that so I'll just call and see what happens"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow no wonder my postflop aggression factor is only ~2.2

Putting 4 bets into this pot on the turn and river seems crazy to me, but what do I know. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 03-21-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're re-raised, then you can decide to call down or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok, i think you have a king and I can't beat that so I'll just call and see what happens

[/ QUOTE ]
1st method cost of seeing showdown: At minimum 3, and probably 4 or 5 BB between turn and river

2nd meth cost of seeing showdown: At maximum 2 BB (assuming you will fold if button raises)

1st method cost of folding(if re-raised by BB or Button): 2 BB

2nd method cost of folding(if re-raised by Button): 1 BB

I think the decision is clear.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 PM

I'm folding here. I see no way that I am ahead at this point. BB is representing a King and there isn't much the button could 3-bet with pre-flop that I'm ahead of. I expect the button to have AK as I would expect a flop raise if he had an overpair, such as JJ. If the button has AK he will almost certainly raise here and be 3-bet by the BB. I don't want to be caught in between all of this when I'm probably third in the hand.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You raise to see where you stand. If you're re-raised, then you can decide to call down or fold. But calling this raise is like saying, "ok, i think you have a king and I can't beat that so I'll just call and see what happens"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow no wonder my postflop aggression factor is only ~2.2

Putting 4 bets into this pot on the turn and river seems crazy to me, but what do I know. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

It is crazy. Why reraise on the turn if you are going to fold to one bet? Just call down from the turn.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-21-2005, 07:21 PM

point taken... after reading, it does make since to just call down
Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Let me just start by saying how much I appreciate all the advice everyone gave. I love this website and all the people that contribute to it. You can't buy feedback like this anywhere!

When I first typed up the hand post, I said to myself this has got to be an obvious raise. Maybe that's because I'm trying to convince myself I need to be a tad more aggressive on the turn/river.

The only hand I could put the Button on was AK. I couldn't see any hand that he would three bet before the flop, but just call on the flop. JJ maybe, but I thought that would merit a raise on the flop from him. That BB woke up when the K came on the turn scared me a bit. The thought of cleaning the puke out of my laptop if BB showed down with K-2o was not appealing. So I folded.

But, the pot was decent sized, and I could still have had the best hand. Is this a situation where you could decide to call or raise based on pot equity? I read SSHE a few times and pot equity is one of the concepts I'm still trying to get my arms around. Could I figure that I'd win the pot 40% (just for arguments sake) of the time and that would justify a raise, since there would probably be three people in at showdown (40% being > than 33%)? Or would the opposite be true: I'm probably only going to win less than 33% of the time?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:05 PM

calling down is to me the best play. You might be beat but with the nice sized pot, you will proboly win at least 10% of the time making this profitable.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 PM

This (I think) is related to my pot equity question in my last post. Say for arguments sake that I have to just call two bets to show down (1 on the turn and 1 on the river). Does that mean I have to win > 20% of the time to have pot equity to make the calls?

If not, does anyone know how you would figure this out?