Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: What would he make the river raise with?

[ QUOTE ]
I checked behind at the turn so he couldnt check raise me if he had a set

[/ QUOTE ]

“Also, you shouldn’t be concerned that someone might be checking the nuts to you. You never worry about that. I’ve heard people say: “Well, I was afraid to bet because I was afraid he’d raise me.” Never worry about getting raised. You have to go ahead and play and if it happens, it happens... and then you worry about it.” etc. (Super System)
Old quote but that doesn’t make it less true.

Ok, you didn’t post this hand so experienced posters like me could tell you that you should have bet the turn... River play: I think you are right: If he had a real hand he would value bet river. A2s and full house are possible holdings but I think you are ahead more than 35% of the time.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 AM

As far as the river all in, I would ussually call this assuming the player isn't too tight. I would expect this to be a bluff at least half the time, which makes it a fine call I think. Also, I think your best piece of info in this hand is that he limped under the gun. So if I was in the hand I would try to think back to what I know he might limp UTG with. Some people will always limp pairs, it might be easier to put him on a big hand then. Or if he will limp with a variety of hands, I think its more likely to be a busted draw. I think 35 is very unlikely to get limped under the gun, that just seems a little odd. I think its all pretty player dependant, but without a read I would definately lead towards calling the allin.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:04 AM

Hi iceman,

I usually call here, and look at sixes full.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:47 AM

Well Im glad a few people agreed with me about the call. I couldnt put him on a hand (which is a bad reason to call), but Ive never seen someone play a monster like that.

I mean, how many times have you seen this:

EP Limps....LP raises
EP checks flop....LP bets flop...EP calls
EP checks turn....LP checks turn ( with AK or some other hand that missed)
EP now leads out with a river bet because he knows LP has nothing....LP folds.

Anyway, I called and the guy had quad 2's. I still think that play will be a busted draw a high enough percentage of the time to make the call correct.