Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Results and Train of Thought

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I check-call this flop is because I know my opponent will do 2 things:

1. Either raise me if has overpair beat when I bet.
2. Fold if I bet a 3/4 to pot size bet if he has nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

this line of thinking on the flop is retarded. this isnt the river on a horribly scary board, its a great flop for your hand. bet it.

he could call, with a weaker hand or draw. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Results and Train of Thought

sometimes people have a tendency to overthink hands as you did here. forget the stats on your opponent they don't apply here. playing it straight forward you might have still lost this particular hand but in the long run in similar situations you will be the winner.
play with some balls and don't make excuses not to bet
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: 5/10 QQ UB Hand.

Writing as I read through this...

What do you do on this river card? Check? Bet? or <gack> check/fold to all-in?

Does he call you with a Jack? i.e. If he has only AJ, does he call your river all in? If not, I check and call. I don't think I like getting bluffed out on this pot. You'll be getting better than 4 to 1 on the call on the river and can beat a number of hands he would move at the pot with.

If he won't call with just a Jack, betting carries no value. Better to let him bluff at it.

On the flip side, if he won't bluff at it but would overcall to your betting, you should move in. My sense from how you describe him, I check and call cause even though he might call with a Jack, he'll probably bet it if you check to him.

I think your flop check call is dangerous. I like an attempt to cr an aggressive player, or if fairly passive I like leading into him with the intention of an all in over top of a raise.

His flop bet is one that tells me that either he most likely has a decent hand/but not a strong one, testing out to see what I do. When I call the flop bet, I want my opponent to think I have TT or 99 or some other pocket pair lower that JJ to think that I'm afraid of a pair of jacks in his hand, but am going to keep him honest.

I agree that he probably has something (JT or J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is all I fear beating me on that river) based on his flop bet. But I'm not sure I like the line of thinking so much on the flop. Your check call says you're either keeping him honest, or that you have something big and want more from him later.

This is the second level thinking here. If I'm good playing post flop, that's what I'm thinking if I've got something like AJ. You're either keeping me a little honest on that flop, or waiting to hit me on the turn. So when that deuce hits the turn and you check to me again, my bet - which has to be a reasonable amount - gets one of two things to happen. You now either fold cause you don't want to keep me that honest. Or you come over top of me.

So I then check the turn and look to call a reasonable bet on the river. It keeps the pot small, and it gives you a chance to fire at the pot if you have something like TT or AK.

So I just decided to bet.

I certainly don't hate your bet. But I also agree with you...give him the chance to bluff if he's no good. If he's on Jx non flush and he's good at post-flop play, then he won't call your bet. But he might bet if you check.

- C -
Old 03-17-2005, 11:57 PM

Default lawrence im really curious if you multiple stakes by 10

Comeon man, what stakes do you really play, if you want to post made up hands its your business, but you dish out a LOT of advice and make it sound expert, and I think theres a bit of a moral issue here, as in Im obligated to make sure you know your stuff if you give out such definitive advice. Nothing personal. Your blog says you play middle limit and $50 NL games on party. This would not make sense with you claiming to be playing 5/10 NL.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lorencius/

1:44 am - Are Geniune smiles greeted with geniuness?
Well,

During our last home game, the boys and I talked about our Blogs and Mike mentioned how I spill my soul out on these Blogs. Yeah, but it's what makes my blogs interesting is the fact I talk about a lot of stuff that most others wouldn't mention. I mean, there are enough poker blogs out there that talk about poker and how everyone is making 3 BB/100 and going to hit that 200k mark this year. So do you really need another braggin' poker blog? Nah.

Anyways, I haven't been able to update this as often as I have seriously been putting more time into playing poker. Since the last River Rock tournament I have to say I've been on a nice slump of say..oh.. 0 for 6 wins live and right now after about 6k hands in the $50 NL games on Party I'm down about $200 (-4 BB/100). Needless to say my confidence feels pretty shitty right now as since the year has started I'm back to break even, zero, capiche.

Well, dispensing bad beat stories here isn't going to help me any and I'm sure we've heard enough of those time after time again. Somehow there's an inverse effect in play as when I play more I make less, and the less I play the more I make. Sklanksy and Malmuth surely would jest at me right now for making such crude judgements.

Last home tournament game we had Dan managed to have the balls to call my all-in raise with AA in the SB, when I held 64 suited on the button. I've a notorious record for cracking AA in that game of ours and Dan just avoided it. Lucky him. </sarcasm off>

2+2 has been keeping me busy lately simply because the number of NL posts in the sub-sections of that particular forum has gotten far more attention since the inception of the new NL/PL games. One can only wonder how much longer they'll be as good as they are now as soon as the 30/60 gamboolers get tired of them.

Looking at my short term stats for the $50 NL games, I can't help but notice I've paid over $130 in rake. I mean, this is crazy. Let's say that on average I win about 7 bb/100. That's $210 over 6k hands which is what I have right now. And I'm paying $130 in [censored] rake!? [censored], I think I seriously need to jump up in levels cuz if the suckouts don't kill me, this rake surely is.

Now seems like a good time to take a break, get back into my MMORPG playing, and catch up on some stuff which I've procrastinated for far too long. My head is pretty messed up the last 3 weeks and somehow I think I've been putting a wee too much pressure on myself. So I'll just loosen back till my aggression and confidence returns.

Lawrence

Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: lawrence im really curious if you multiple stakes by 10

[ QUOTE ]
Comeon man, what stakes do you really play, if you want to post made up hands its your business, but you dish out a LOT of advice and make it sound expert, and I think theres a bit of a moral issue here, as in Im obligated to make sure you know your stuff if you give out such definitive advice. Nothing personal. Your blog says you play middle limit and $50 NL games on party. This would not make sense with you claiming to be playing 5/10 NL.

Well,

During our last home game, the boys and I talked about our Blogs and Mike mentioned how I spill my soul out on these Blogs. Yeah, but it's what makes my blogs interesting is the fact I talk about a lot of stuff that most others wouldn't mention. I mean, there are enough poker blogs out there that talk about poker and how everyone is making 3 BB/100 and going to hit that 200k mark this year. So do you really need another braggin' poker blog? Nah.

Anyways, I haven't been able to update this as often as I have seriously been putting more time into playing poker. Since the last River Rock tournament I have to say I've been on a nice slump of say..oh.. 0 for 6 wins live and right now after about 6k hands in the $50 NL games on Party I'm down about $200 (-4 BB/100). Needless to say my confidence feels pretty shitty right now as since the year has started I'm back to break even, zero, capiche.

Well, dispensing bad beat stories here isn't going to help me any and I'm sure we've heard enough of those time after time again. Somehow there's an inverse effect in play as when I play more I make less, and the less I play the more I make. Sklanksy and Malmuth surely would jest at me right now for making such crude judgements.

Last home tournament game we had Dan managed to have the balls to call my all-in raise with AA in the SB, when I held 64 suited on the button. I've a notorious record for cracking AA in that game of ours and Dan just avoided it. Lucky him. </sarcasm off>

2+2 has been keeping me busy lately simply because the number of NL posts in the sub-sections of that particular forum has gotten far more attention since the inception of the new NL/PL games. One can only wonder how much longer they'll be as good as they are now as soon as the 30/60 gamboolers get tired of them.

Looking at my short term stats for the $50 NL games, I can't help but notice I've paid over $130 in rake. I mean, this is crazy. Let's say that on average I win about 7 bb/100. That's $210 over 6k hands which is what I have right now. And I'm paying $130 in [censored] rake!? [censored], I think I seriously need to jump up in levels cuz if the suckouts don't kill me, this rake surely is.

Now seems like a good time to take a break, get back into my MMORPG playing, and catch up on some stuff which I've procrastinated for far too long. My head is pretty messed up the last 3 weeks and somehow I think I've been putting a wee too much pressure on myself. So I'll just loosen back till my aggression and confidence returns.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:50 AM

I just would like to know what his real experience is.

My response was "Wow" also.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well,

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't find it. followed the link, but can't find that specific post. the last post being the end of February. weird.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:26 AM

Forgetting the 50NL or whatever argument and going back to the original hand post - I understand there is an argument raging between posters on this forum at the moment which I don't really want to get involved with brushing that aside - my genuine opinion on the QQ hand posted is that your play sucks mate, it was incredibly weak to check and call on that flop you only have yourself to blame for losing here.