Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: what are weak tight players thinking about?

[ QUOTE ]
what are weak-tight players thinking? are the guys who pack 10VPIPs saying to themselves that all the guys with 19VPIPs are just way too loose? or, is it that they are simply more rational than most poker players and know that they are not good enough to profit off playing with a 19VPIP, so they play within their limits? do they know that the 19VPIPs are better and are simply playing this tight because they think that they dont have the skills in order to profit from playing a game as loose as 19VPIPs do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that sounds about right.

I'm at 11vpip/6.5pfr playing .5/1 after reading SSHE for the first few times. I really have no idea how to play so many hands profitably at least for right now.

My ag factor is

flop = 3.77
turn = 2.54
river = lets not talk about that for now, i am starting to value bet more. i promise.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what are weak-tight players thinking? are the guys who pack 10VPIPs saying to themselves that all the guys with 19VPIPs are just way too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have different definitions of weak tight. Weak tight to mean means both playing tight pre flop, but giving up too easily post flop. Not playing too tight per flop.

Weak tight play minimises potential losses. So it makes sense [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] if you want to put a cap on your losses, but don’t care much if you win or not. Although I think most weak tight players are just playing scared money.

Playing too tight around 10VPIP is a good style for beginners. It has to be balanced by ultra aggressive tenacious play post flop. The play is simple and should be good enough to beat most games.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:55 AM

Well, I'm weak tight when I'm playing badly so I guess I can field this one.

I started off, like most players, a loose gambling card chaser. As one would imagine, I lost more often than I won. Didn't matter. I had fun, and it's only money.

The next stage of my poker development was becoming weak tight. I started learning how the game was played, and I started caring about how much I won or lost at a table. I was playing with loose agressive players, so playing tight turned me from someone who lost most of the time to someone who pretty much broke even and made a bit of money every week or so. It's addictive. Allow yourself to be passive, and let the maniacs bet into you.

Let's take an example. A flush draw. I know that the majority of the time the flush won't hit. I would look at my stack and think "I can't see throwing money at something that won't pay off even half the time". I call or check. I then hit it and then I think "if I bet people will fold. I'll just sit here." Sure enough people bet big trying to bluff. I make a small raise and collect the pot.

Now, anyone who knows anything about pot odds can see the flaw in this thinking.

Finally I hit the next stage of my development where I became tight, yet agressivley persued every pot. When I'm at my best I now have a great table image for chasing people off, and the willingness to wait for my shots.

If I go on tilt, I regress back to being a weak tight player and tread water untill I realize the terrible missed chances I passed up.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 AM

On an average session there are at least six at the table. I would say they also think:

I only have $xx.xx today, I can't call that bet/raise

I only have tptk and someone in this pot will chase me down

There is a three flush/straight and my set is no good because it's lower than the biggest board card
Old 03-19-2005, 03:47 AM

These players are thinking more about themselves and how "their holding" is beat or bad. They tend to be more negative of the good in borderline situations and in situations that shouldn't be as borderline. Basically the cup is half empty too often and not half full often enough.

... Every overcard is scary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2005, 07:55 AM

some great posts here.

i just wanted to mention that i do know what a weak-tight player is, i was just using the preflop stats as an example.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing too tight around 10VPIP is a good style for beginners. It has to be balanced by ultra aggressive tenacious play post flop. The play is simple and should be good enough to beat most games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. It is a simple style and good enough to beat most low limit games, but playing hands like 76s after several loose passive callers is part of holdem poker. Beginners should learn that from the start as well. Playing the tight aggressive preflop style like the books suggest will give a VPIP about 10% lower than the table average, that’s tight enough. Increase the post flop aggression after you get more experience and confidence.

Besides, getting lots of 10% VPIP players is bad for the game. The fish need to occasionally win those multiplayer big pots with their J5s, otherwise poker wouldn’t be fun anymore.

JMHO
Old 03-19-2005, 10:34 AM

What does "10VPIP" mean?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:15 AM

this is some really bad logic. a new player starting out wont know when suited connectors become profitable. its much better if you just tell them not to play suited connectors at all.

new players should really start out playing tight poker, and develop a more optimal style as they progress.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:25 AM

I agree. Confidence is a big factor in playing a good game. What gives more confidence than winning? In low level games you don't need to be fancy to make a profit at the table. Playing tight won't win a great deal of money, but it'll keep you from losing and that helps to give a new player a proper base.

For me, my journey is one of learning new tricks at every session, eventually forming a good catalog of moves. I'm not sure if I could have gotten as far if I didn't learn how to play tight at first.

Then again, I think it's easier to teach an agressive and fearless player how to play better than it is a timid player. For most people, however, playing tight is a good way to start.