Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Wondering about my aggression

I have been getting so horribly the past 4 days that I am really shell shocked. I have arrived at a point that I feel like everytime I am raising I am just pumping up a pot for someone else, and so I began to wonder -- "Have I gotten too aggressive and am now just chip spewing.

This hand is a typical hand where I wonder whether my turn bet was stupid or reasonable:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...
Old 03-18-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Wondering about my aggression

You missed a preflop raise and a flop bet on this one. The turn bet is fine.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 AM

You're playing 3/6 and don't even have odds to call one bet on the flop. How is he missing a flop bet here?

And yes, the turn bet is fine.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:02 AM

I have been getting so horribly the past 4 days that I am really shell shocked. I have arrived at a point that I feel like everytime I am raising I am just pumping up a pot for someone else, and so I began to wonder -- "Have I gotten too aggressive and am now just chip spewing.

I did not read the rest of the post or any responses.

Each hand happens independantly of one another. You must overcome this mental hurdle if you want to have success.

If your playing too loose aggressively then you need to reevaluate, however if your playing premium hand with raises, and getting beat, it happens. Ride the wave.

Ok, I read the hand.

I do not like the open limp. If you want to play the hand open raise. I do not like the preflop play. Raise it up.

I like the bet on the turn. if someone hit the flush or straight thats poker.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing 3/6 and don't even have odds to call one bet on the flop. How is he missing a flop bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was after the preflop raise.

Against just 1 LP limper + blinds, and after both blinds have checked to Hero, do you really think he doesn't have the best hand on the flop?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:03 AM

Raise preflop.

Bet the flop.

Bet the turn.

Also...I think this is a flop bet (my line above assumes a PFR), but I'm not sure how to play such a strong hand in an unraised pot.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:05 AM

I'm just not sure he has enough equity to put a bet in on the flop. I think you have a stronger chance of chasing people out after a PF raise though so it becomes more correct, so it's probably close.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have odds to *call* a bet assuming he has 6 outs.

BUT, hero is good here A LOT. His hand needs some protection.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:13 AM

Here's my problem: You don't really know where you stand, and probably won't until the end.

Suppose you get called in one or two places, and the card that came comes. Now you might be ahead, but you also might be behind. Also, it's not 6 outs. I would be very hesitant to give him more than 5 outs. You really are going to say that his ace and jack outs, especially the hearts, are good 100% of the time? I really doubt that. You could have reverse implied odds working for them in this case.

That being said, there are days I would bet this the whole way and just try to push everyone off. It would really depend on the players, but I would probably have to see them make some folds first.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my problem: You don't really know where you stand, and probably won't until the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check and the button bets, you won't know where you stand either. I don't think you can check/call here. Thats way too weak. Its either bet or check/fold. Your hand is too good to check/fold, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's not 6 outs. I would be very hesitant to give him more than 5 outs. You really are going to say that his ace and jack outs, especially the hearts, are good 100% of the time? I really doubt that. You could have reverse implied odds working for them in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because the description of your hand doesnt begin with "a pair of..." doesn't mean its not a made hand. In the land of no pairs, A-J high is king! (well, almost, but I dont think AK or AQ are much of a worry here). You very likely have a made hand here, that they are drawing against.

Also, *if* your ace and jack of hearts aren't good, then that means your ace-jack high is! (this assumes that anyone who flopped both a flush draw AND a pair is betting. Or checkraising, at which point you can dump).

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, there are days I would bet this the whole way and just try to push everyone off. It would really depend on the players, but I would probably have to see them make some folds first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think betting this hand down all the way (UI) is terrible.