Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 08:49 PM

Default hand stats for 2k hands. evaluation, what do u guys think?

Hold'em (Real Money):

1888 hands played and saw flop:
- 123 times out of 357 while in small blind (34%)
- 244 times out of 350 while in big blind (69%)
- 247 times out of 1181 in other positions (20%)
- a total of 614 times out of 1888 (32%)

Pots won at showdown - 99 out of 184 (53%)
Pots won without showdown - 200
Hold'em (Real Money, 1-on-1):

112 hands played and saw flop:
- 46 times out of 56 while in small blind (82%)
- 49 times out of 56 while in big blind (87%)
- 0 times out of 0 in other positions (0%)
- a total of 95 times out of 112 (84%)

Pots won at showdown - 19 out of 33 (57%)
Pots won without showdown - 40

these are the stats for the previous 2000 hands that I've played. I dont use poker tracker yet so this is all I have to go on for now. I'd like to know everyones opinion on my stats.

I went to some website where they categorized players who won more pots without showdowns and how those stats were unique for only 5% of players. What does that say about my game?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: hand stats for 2k hands. evaluation, what do u guys think?

I'm relatively gentle, so hopefully I'll be the first to say it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2,000 hands is not enough for any of your statistics to be meaningful. In fact, many people on here will play more than 2,000 hands per day. With such a small sample size, your run of cards (hot vs. cold) has a huge impact on your stats.

Most people will still say it's too small a sample, but 10,000 hands is really the smallest sample that you can draw any meaning from. When you do rack up that many, it would also help greatly if you gave the limit(s) you're playing, as well as the site.

Get PokerTracker. Even if you're playing .25/.50 (or less), it will pay for itself in no time. It is an essential tool for online poker play, no ifs ands or buts. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Ya I did realize that the sample was too small and that 10k is the "default" of sorts around here but like I said that was my available info. You are right about the other stuff though.

I play 2/4 at poker stars and I'm about to get poker tracker since it seems theres no excuse for not having it, especially at the blinds I play now.

One thing someone out there can answer is about the stats on how I win many more pots without showdown than I do with showdowns. My stats have been like that for way over 10k hands. Is it because I'm aggressive or because I have a solid table image? Is it good, is it bad, if so why?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 PM

I've never played a hand of ring game play at stars, so Im no expert, but the word on the street is that stars is far tigher than party.

As such, you might not be able to compare the frequencies at which you win a pot uncontesed to the frequencies you've seen from posters on here who play at party.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing someone out there can answer is about the stats on how I win many more pots without showdown than I do with showdowns. My stats have been like that for way over 10k hands. Is it because I'm aggressive or because I have a solid table image? Is it good, is it bad, if so why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have far more experience on the Party skins, but based on the play I've participated in on Stars, it doesn't sound at all strange that you'd be winning most of your pots without a showdown. Stars players seemed notoriously tight (part of the reason I don't play there very often), and as long as you don't go LAGging it up, they'll generally tend to respect your bets and raises.

As far as good or bad, it's a little of both. It's good in that you can use your opponents' tight play to steal a few pots (and blinds) here and there, and it generally becomes easier to get a read on what your opponent has. It's bad because when they're folding, you aren't collecting any more bets. Generally speaking, I'd much rather be up against a guy who will call to the river on a gutshot draw or with bottom pair than against a guy who'll fold TPWK if I raise his flop bet.

Ways around this are to work on your table selection, and/or move to a looser site (like the Party skins or Pacific). While it's all well and good to have your premium hands hold up almost all of the time, the big pots you can win against a few poor players are more than worth the suckouts.