Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Default A fun hand from the summer -Taj 1/2 NL (Low content)

1/2 300 max buy in game at the Taj.

I have been playing for about 12 hours and my stack is at $1,300, villain in the hand is this middle aged Asian man who I have been playing with for 5 or 6 hours. He had $650 on the table. Once I accumulated some chips I had been fairly aggressive, opening for 12 preflop about 3 times an orbit and then betting $40 on the flop, winning 80% of the pots before we got to the turn - It was a great loose-passive table. Although I had been highly aggressive I had not shown down a losing hand in a few hours. Asian guy four seats to my right is probably the toughest player in the game (this was my first trip to AC last summer but I went 6 more times and each trip he was sitting in that game) and I had been in a few big pots against him most without a showdown.

I am dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1 and decide to open for a minraise to $4 (this was the only pf minraise that I saw all session) which was called in 3 spots including the villain on the button. Both blinds called

Flop ($20): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Blinds check and I bet $12, called by above average (but not profitable player) young LAG who is having a good day and is at $550, all fold to villain on the button who raises to $30.

I put him on a really strong hand. He had been trying to break me all night, this wasn't the type of play he would make with a flush draw because he wouldn't want to semibluff me off out of a small pot, he would want to break me in a big one.

The blinds folded and it was on me and I decided to have some fun with this hand. I reraised him to $90, I was very confident in my read that if he had a big hand he would not push it in there because he would want to break me on the turn. This is the way that he had been playing me all day and I was confident that it would continue.

My other thought was that he would never put me on a flush draw if I was 3-betting him preflop, if my heart hit on the turn my plan was to open push, I knew that he would call the push - he wouldn't put me on a flush draw and he had a big hand.

The MP player folded and the villain thought for a while and said "I have a really good hand, but I'm not going to draw to 4 outs here" and flashed me his 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as he tossed his cards into the muck with a child-like grin on his face. I looked at him straight in the eye and said "Thats unreal, my miracle flop and I don't get your stack. Amazing laydown" as I raked in the most satisfying $74 pot that I had taken down in a long time.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: A fun hand from the summer -Taj 1/2 NL (Low content)

you really need to show him the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] there

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: A fun hand from the summer -Taj 1/2 NL (Low content)

the jack is actually also a cute teaser...

but youre right the 5 is better ;-)