Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Default JJ in SB, overs on flop

I'm new to 6-max.

Villain is 35/17/1.4 over ~50 hands.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

So I'm thinking I was maybe too aggressive here? Didn't want to get bluffed out of the pot, didn't want to give a straight or flush draw free cards, so I just bet it. Also had a few redraws along the way.

The river bet is pretty bad, right? The only possible hand I beat that will ever call is something like a J9, and no hands that beat me and called down will fold there. A check-call might induce a worse hand to bluff at it though?

In more general terms, what changes do you make when playing big pairs out of position in 6-max vs full ring?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: JJ in SB, overs on flop

[ QUOTE ]
In more general terms, what changes do you make when playing big pairs out of position in 6-max vs full ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

While not exclusive to big pocket pairs, opening up this

[ QUOTE ]
The only possible hand I beat that will ever call is something like a J9

[/ QUOTE ]

restrictive line of thought is a great place to start.

Someitmes its better to check and induce the bluff, sometimes its better to value bet, it may even be correct to check and fold if he bets (although that's a tough one), but each can (especially the first two) be a viable option.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: JJ in SB, overs on flop

[ QUOTE ]

Villain is 35/17/1.4 over ~50 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an aggressive player I might check-call the river.

If he's slightly more passive I would value bet the river and fold to a raise. Any 8 or 9 will call you here at 1/2 (sometimes worse).