Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: AT off - your move

[ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't make that big a deal either way I think..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think pushing is non-exploitable. It CAN be a big deal...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I went allin here, but felt bad about it. Typically in the past I would make it 500 here and likely will in the future. I just wanted to see what others felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you bet 500 with AA too? I'd hate to have the more observant 200/15 players make a note that they can always push you off a 2.5xBB raise.

If the 30s, when I see someone bet 2.5xBB, I'm very sure they don't want to be called, but are too proud to min-raise. I'm even more sure when they make a bet like 525. I'm actually more likely to fold if they min-raise for the first time. Is this crazy talk?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:46 AM

What would be your play if you raised to 5 or 600 and you got reraised?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Pushing is wrong for a couple reasons. Whenever I have around 10bb, I almost always raise to 3bb, and only I know whether I am going to call a push or not. This depends on who pushes, what their stack is at, what position they are in.

If you open push, smaller stacks might fold dominated or coinflip hands, and you are not able to gain chips. You also are not able to get away from hands that you could have if you had only raised to 3xbb. If I raise to 3xbb and one big stack pushes, and the other big stack calls all in, I can safely muck, knowing I am completely dominated. Something I couldn't do if I open pushed.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you open push, smaller stacks might fold coinflip hands, and you are not able to gain chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer winning the blinds without contest...
Old 03-18-2005, 03:47 PM

Yes Im definitely making it 500 with my big hands here.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be your play if you raised to 5 or 600 and you got reraised?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call the small stacks and fold to the big stacks. btw, in lower limits its possible that allin is better, if people are routinely calling and going allin with weak aces and KQ and so on.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think pushing is non-exploitable. It CAN be a big deal...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing with players will won't explot anything, and only play their hands in a straightforward fashion (Which is sometimes the case in these situations), then raising to 500 should be more appropriate. There are times where I would just move allin however.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you open push, smaller stacks might fold dominated or coinflip hands, and you are not able to gain chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why these small stacks are going to play if I raise it to 500 but fold if I move allin. It should be pretty clear that all my money is going in against them. I admit that people are stupid so it might affect a rare opponent's decision, but very rarely IMO.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the 30s, when I see someone bet 2.5xBB, I'm very sure they don't want to be called, but are too proud to min-raise. I'm even more sure when they make a bet like 525. I'm actually more likely to fold if they min-raise for the first time. Is this crazy talk?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's dependent on who you play with. 2.5 BB is my standard opener in later levels if I have enough of a stack to be raising instead of pushing, and I'll use that bet both for steals and for my strong hands. That said, minraising from people that don't tend to minraise is generally going to be a worrisome sign, so you probably should fear that more than their normal raise.