Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: check-call, check-call, bet.

I mean they get pissed off and raise.

Seriously, your line does look fishy. 90% of players don't check-call twice with top pair. They just have no understanding of the concept behind this play. I am never comfortable folding to a raise when I use a line that confuses my opponent.

-Michael
Old 03-18-2005, 08:17 AM

interesting, that gives me some food for thought.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:01 AM

If I use your line, which i do sometimes with ace, dodgy kicker then I probably call a raise on the end
Old 03-18-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I think this board is one where betting the river might not make sense, and it may be better to just let him keep firing through, because you're going to have a really tough time getting a call from any hand that wasn't betting anyways.
It might be better to just let him continue those times he is bluffing desperately, and avoid paying two bets/possibly folding the best hand if you get raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

How common are river bluff raises at 3/6? While I never like to fold the best hand, the pot is pretty meager.

That said, I think I check-call the river here and expect to win more than 1 in 7. If I've seen him get married to KK/QQ in the past, I'm more likely to bet the river.

Tom
Old 03-18-2005, 12:55 PM

I would either (1) raise the flop bet and lead on turn, and keep betting if no strength shown; or (2) check and call the whole way.

I like (2) best. I dont see what the river lead by you does, except for giving him a chance to raise with AK-AJ, or something else that beats you.

TSP
Old 03-18-2005, 01:08 PM

I think the idea is that you get one more BB if villian will check behind with a PP.

WiteKnite
Old 03-18-2005, 01:17 PM

folding to a river raise would be silly, especially given the inherent unreliability of the aggression factor and the small sample size of hands on this opponent.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:15 PM

well yah this is certainly the reasoning.

i didnt have reads on this player, as im 4tabling while watching tv. maybe this line really isnt optimal. i really dont know how to go about deciding what the best line is for this situation. the PP 3/6 players are very tight-passive, and i think checkraising the flop or the turn will force alot of people to fold their pocket pairs. many people are very weak tight on there. its not like PP15 where any pair has to be taken to the showdown. there has been quite a few times where i open raise from MP with a hand like KQ or 88, am 3 bet by a guy with stats like 14VPIP 8PFR, the flop comes A39, i checkraise the flop and he doesnt even call to see the turn.